Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pen Shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARINE1142

A friend of mine had a pen that when you clicked it down for the ink to come out it would shock you. He would not let me take it apart to see what was inside does anyone know what was inthere. I was thinking a battery and a cap and the leds hooked up to the metel pen and the other on a switch up top but what size cap and what size battery?

You cant get shocked from 1,5V! (it wod run about 0.001mA of curent trugh you)
You wod need to step up the voltage but thats imposible in such an small space

You need high voltage.This is proboly done by piezoelectric elements (or piezo igniters)This is the sthing that cliks down and produces about 15 000 V at about 1 mA

This is used in some cigarete lighters,those that only have the button adn that button cliks.There they are used to make an electrical spark to ignite the methan and make a fire (theats where the name piezo igniter comes from).

MARINE1142 said:
A friend of mine had a pen that when you clicked it down for the ink to come out it would shock you. He would not let me take it apart to see what was inside does anyone know what was inthere. I was thinking a battery and a cap and the leds hooked up to the metel pen and the other on a switch up top but what size cap and what size battery?

i have that pen and that game with the 4 controllers and they both are great

its a step up transformer circuit
the voltage is boosted and the amperage stays at about 0.01 amps

Someone Electro said:
You cant get shocked from 1,5V! (it wod run about 0.001mA of curent trugh you)
You wod need to step up the voltage but thats imposible in such an small space

You need high voltage.This is proboly done by piezoelectric elements (or piezo igniters)This is the sthing that cliks down and produces about 15 000 V at about 1 mA

This is used in some cigarete lighters,those that only have the button adn that button cliks.There they are used to make an electrical spark to ignite the methan and make a fire (theats where the name piezo igniter comes from).

these pens dont use piezo igniters
they have a "AAA" battery and a coil in them

I have one also that works really good but it is to difficult to remove.

MARINE1142 said:
from steven =reply the only thing that would be in that push button pen to give you a shock is a small pizeo electric ignitor from those hand held plastic ,gass stove lighters, there skinny enougth to get into a pen if you pull the plastic ignitor for lighting gass stoves with you will see how small they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back