Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

peak detector capacitor oups

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I am laying out the pc boards for the Tilt EQ unit I and a boy scout are building.
going with a one sided board but numerious jumpers for the ground (hope not a problem??
on the second board for the LM3916 display I am using the peak circuit from the data sheet BUT I find I ordered the wrong caps.
ordered 1uf ceramic not .1 ceramic caps.
this shouldn't be a problem??

Attachments

• peak dector circuit.GIF
    peak dector circuit.GIF
    55 KB · Views: 198
Another oups-

After posting the circuit I rechecked the data sheet and find the capacitor is supposed to be an electrolytic cap anyways.
make a run to radio shack on thursday.

After posting the circuit I rechecked the data sheet and find the capacitor is supposed to be an electrolytic cap anyways.
make a run to radio shack on thursday.
You can always use a ceramic cap in place of an electrolytic, generally with improved performance (even if you don't need it). The reasons to use electrolytics is that they are generally smaller and cheaper than ceramics, and come in much larger values.

A ceramic cap is microphonic and its vibration will be displayed on the LEDs. It should be a 0.1uF (100nF) metalized film capacitor. They are with a 5% tolerance.
A ceramic cap might have a 50% tolerance that also changes when its temperature changes.

It should not be a polarized type (as shown wrong on the datasheet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back