Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCIE 8 pin header part number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I got back:

Andrew, Rosenberger only makes R F Coaxial connectors and cable assemblies.

We do not make power connectors.

Sorry we cannot be of service.

Which is what I expected; hmm - maybe I will forward that on to PCI-SIG and see what they say...

I forwarded the response to PCI-SIG; I also just sent an email to Molex via their contact/feedback form asking for information; I guess we'll see what happens...

:)

Heres' the response I just got from Molex:

Unfortunately Molex currently does not offer the 8 pin PCIe connector that matches the polarization with the picture you provided. The closest part we have is part number 0455870002 which you have already found. That connector mates with part number 0455860002.

As for where PC power supply manufacturers get there PCIe connectors from, it depends on the manufacturer.

Damn - we're back at square one! I honestly don't understand this.

:(

Hello; I wrote a post 4 days ago, it seems to be on a queue buffer waiting for approval. Dont understand how its not reflected here yet.

Did anyone ever come up with a source for the 8 pin PCIE connector housing, or even the +2? I may need to buy about 1000 of them. For prototypes, I can get by with buying some $5 adapter cables from Fry's and removing the connectors.

Edit: I just received a response from Molex saying that they still do not make the 8-pin PCIE part, only the 6 pin.

Last edited:
The thread began in 2010 and ran till Feb. 2012. I hope they found parts by now. :)

Ron

True, but 6 years on and the problem still persists.

Should have said, I commented for closure - it still very hard to find the parts.

Surprising so now that ATXs are coming bigger, and loaded with 8 pin PCIe's - for all those gamers out there.

We are utilising a ATX to power a PC along with a load of ancillary equipment, its allowed us to remove 2 power supplies and a LED driver :) - Just struggled getting the connectors.

As mentioned earlier (well 8 years ago) you can use the 6 pin at 75 Watts which is available everywhere, but the 8 pin is far better at 150 Watts

I agree but just about any online computer supplier like New Egg for example generally will have a full line of just about any adapter anyone could want. As to brick and mortar Micro-Center and other stores carry lines like Star Tech adapters. Today if I wanted to use an ATX or EPS form factor PSU as a bench supply I would just cut the factory connectors off it. If it's yellow it's 12 V if orange then 3.3 V and Red would be 5 V. However, in the interest of not cutting the PSU wires an adapter to hack is a good option making it easy to return the PSU to its original use.

Ron

Sorry Ron, might be me, usually is - I "ASSuMEd" we where talking about a "PCB header" not the plug.
One of these...

upload_2018-4-24_9-53-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-24_9-53-30.png
    upload_2018-4-24_9-53-30.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 218
Cameron, I think we were, the male connector which would mate with the connector on the PSU. The extension connectors work well for this for those who do not want to hack the connectors off the wires extending from the PSU. Anyway, either way there are plenty to be had and your links may help someone else. Sure as heck can't hurt adding them.

Ron

This is a most illuminating thread. I have spent hours trying to find a part number and manufacturer for the connector (the orange bit from Cameron's image).

It seems that it is still a problem sourcing these parts. While sure you can now get them on ebay readily, they will still cost you 3-4 times more than any of the other connectors, which is rather annoying. Also, I see that many Chinese parts go around this by using two non-rectangular shapes as the 2 pin attachment.

Molex still does not make them, and sites like digi-key.com still don't sell them. What's more interesting, Molex does not even seem to make the proper 2 pin attachment that you could use with the regular 6pin PCIE that they do make (The 2 pin that they do make won't fit into a PCIE housing)

I find all this extremely baffling and rather disappointing.

Edit: DigiKey confirmed they do not sell either 8pin PCIE or the 2 pin extension.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back