Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB to play short audio clip on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny782

Play short audio clip on startup ?

okay I have my 12V power source that goes into a board that does some magic with LED's.

What I'm thinking about is having something sperate that plays a short audio clip, and shoots 12V at a relay, or 5V whatever works.

When the audio is done, cut power to the relay and do nothing until the next time you're powered up.

I'm sure it's possible but is it affordable, and somewhat simple?

Thanks,

Kenny

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Okay from what I can find out PC speakers run on 5V when active. I'm not sure if this is standard on all speakers? like the small stereo speakers out of my laptop.

So I could wire a 5V relay and the speaker on the audio output and that would solve my problem. Or is that gonna screw with the audio?

So I guess all I need then is some recorder circuit that can play once on power up.

Okay from what I can find out PC speakers run on 5V when active. I'm not sure if this is standard on all speakers? like the small stereo speakers out of my laptop.

Thought I'd provide my desktop speaker's power ratings as a point of comparison. They're powered by 9VDC @ 500mA (though presumably that's at max volume and the volume knob is just a potentiometer to reduce the power with which the signal from the PC is amplified).

Doesn't your PC already play a sound when it starts up? That's windows themes or something.

You could use a 555 timer attached to your PC speaker 5v to turn the relay ON for X seconds when it is first powered up. There's already heaps of 555+relay threads on the forum.

Doesn't your PC already play a sound when it starts up? That's windows themes or something.

I think he's planning on using PC speakers for his device, not an entire PC. PC speakers are just the right size for what he wants.

Not sure exactly what hardware you want to use to play the short audio clip but i've done some experimenting with an ISD4002 2 minute audio recorder chip.
worked quite well in conjunction with a microcontroller.

Let me/us know if this is the sort of thing you were after...
Or am i heading totally in the wrong direction?

yeah, that's right Jake.

I'll look up some wiring diagrams for a 555 and work it out. I found a 9V recording unit from radio shack.

I can probably rip off the microphone and wire a 1/8" jack in it's place for a line in right?
Unless that line is amplified not sure how that's gonna work.
But it only holds 20 seconds anyway, I'll have to figure out exactly what I want to put on it but that will likely be enough.

Though I was thinking of adding a shutdown clip too, so I guess I could just use two recording units.
I was reading somewhere else about how to trigger an event on power down from a 555 using a capacitor so that would work.

Thanks,

Kenny

I'll look up some wiring diagrams for a 555 and work it out.
When did the 555 come into it?

I have read your first post a couple of times but still cant fully understand what it does exactly.

Is it just a simple light and sound project?
Or does it have an application?

I, along with other will be able to give you more help, if you supply the right information.
Please expand on what you first said....

From what I understand of his explanation, he wants a relay to become active when the device is turned on, which powers the audio controller and plays a start-up sound. The 555 timer is just there to cut power to the audio controller after a specified period of time.

What I don't understand is why you're using a relay to cut power to the audio controller. Why not simply use an audio device which plays the sound once and then stops?

If I've misunderstood any part of your design please correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back