Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB manufacturing defects

alandaniel132

During the manufacturing of 10,000 units, there are 10% defects.
As an electronics test engineer, what can I do to solve this issue?

The first thing would be to make some kind of a table which lists the defects.
Until you know what the defects are, there is no way to find a solution.

Typical problems could be:

Poor design
Incorrect assembly
Faulty components from the suppliers
Faults caused by poor testing techniques or faulty test equipment.

JimB

Seems to me (and I should think anyone qualified to be in that position), the first step is to investigate how the "units" are failing.

Are the pcbs failing? Open or shorted tracks?
[How could you tell? If the board itself is the problem, why and how do you remedy the problem?]

Is there an assembly issue?
[Same question as above.]

Is there a component issue?
[Defective, counterfeit, use of different parts than specified?]

Is there a flaw in the circuit design?

Is there a board layout issue?

After that, the possible causes are endless.....

I suggest searching for "edn tales from the cube" and reading every one of them to gain a tiny bit of understanding about what you've asked.

Seems to me (and I should think anyone qualified to be in that position), the first step is to investigate how the "units" are failing.

Are the pcbs failing? Open or shorted tracks?
[How could you tell? If the board itself is the problem, why and how do you remedy the problem?]

Is there an assembly issue?
[Same question as above.]

Is there a component issue?
[Defective, counterfeit, use of different parts than specified?]

Is there a flaw in the circuit design?

Is there a board layout issue?

After that, the possible causes are endless.....

I suggest searching for "edn tales from the cube" and reading every one of them to gain a tiny bit of understanding about what you've asked.
What is the meaning of ""edn tales from the cube"?

Thank you

The first thing would be to make some kind of a table which lists the defects.
Until you know what the defects are, there is no way to find a solution.

Typical problems could be:

Poor design
Incorrect assembly
Faulty components from the suppliers
Faults caused by poor testing techniques or faulty test equipment.

JimB
Thank you.

Is there any standard guidelines or standard protocol to follow for this process?

What is the meaning of ""edn tales from the cube"?

Perhaps you don't have the proper mindset for the position you seek. If you ask "what's that?" rather than having the initiative to to take a look for yourself ("I suggest searching for "edn tales from the cube" and reading every one of them,"), you're not going to do much good trying to solve problems.

Perhaps you don't have the proper mindset for the position you seek. If you ask "what's that?" rather than having the initiative to to take a look for yourself ("I suggest searching for "edn tales from the cube" and reading every one of them,"), you're not going to do much good trying to solve problems.
I did search for "edn tales from the cube"

What is this phase meaning?
EDN : EDN is an electronics industry website and formerly a magazine

That is not related to the questons.

What are Tales From The Cube about? What are you being asked to do? If you don't see the relationship, the job is not right for you.

There are many things to do.
First go to the company that makes the boards and ask them. Chances they know more than you do. They will want to see examples of "defects".

During the manufacturing of 10,000 units, there are 10% defects.
As an electronics test engineer, what can I do to solve this issue?
If you are referring to PCB fabrication defects, then...
Establish an "acceptable quality level" (AQL) to be used by your PCB receiving Inspection department. Then hold the PCB fabrication company accountable to it. The AQL is usually established by your company through collaboration between production manufacturing, quality control, and engineering. Once an AQL is established, it must be agreed to by the PCB Supplier to enable them to be a "supplier". In my day our AQL was 1%.

If you are referring to PCB fabrication defects, then...
Establish an "acceptable quality level" (AQL) to be used by your PCB receiving Inspection department. Then hold the PCB fabrication company accountable to it. The AQL is usually established by your company through collaboration between production manufacturing, quality control, and engineering. Once an AQL is established, it must be agreed to by the PCB Supplier to enable them to be a "supplier". In my day our AQL was 1%.
Thank you and very infomative.
We should help each other and share knowledge. Thank you

I hope you have already solved your trouble , 10% PCB with defects is too high to be accepted if you have confirmed it is not a design related issue. it would be good to go back to your PCB fabricator and ask for failure analysis . it is reasonable to ask for 8D report from your PCB supplier .

I would presume all his threads are homework questions, that's he's too lazy to do himself :D
That's why this had an eerie familiarity. It was sort of like a Deja Vue when I read it. Normally focused on QC issues. Thank you Nigel. :)

Ron

Hi, where are your PCBs made? 10% PCB with defects is not acceptable, unless it's a PCB design issue.
The PCB maker must have Incorrect assembly or Faulty components.
In fact, it's important for a PCB supplier to have a strict PCB quality control. I ordered 100k units from a Chinese PCB maker called ELE PCB, they have strict quality control and great service.
https://www.elepcb.com/

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back