Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB from China? Coronavirus info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eTech

I’m concerned (as many are) about the Coronavirus and packages received from China. Chances of contacting the the virus this way is close to impossible.

Here is some info:

**broken link removed**

eT

As to the travel by air, an aircraft journey is one of the most unhealthy experiences one can endure, the air is constantly being recycled and airlines have notoriusly been neglect at changing filters.
I have experienced it more than once, getting sick after a long distance air flight.
Max,

I’m concerned (as many are) about the Coronavirus and packages received from China. Chances of contacting the the virus this way is close to impossible.

Here is some info:

**broken link removed**

eT
This is faster than opening the link in post 1.
"According to the Minnesota Department of Health, the answer is no."

Strange question... Most PCB's Electronics come from Shenzhen… Nearly 1000 miles south of Wuhan... only 14 cases reported in the Shenzhen area (Guangdong) which is about the size of Wales..

I think you could lick the parcel clean with your tongue and still be okay...

Strange question... Most PCB's Electronics come from Shenzhen… Nearly 1000 miles south of Wuhan... only 14 cases reported in the Shenzhen area (Guangdong) which is about the size of Wales..

He may ok in terms of Coronavirus but I cannot imagine which other things he might pick up.

Table 1
Persistence of clinically relevant bacteria on dry inanimate surfaces.
Type of bacterium​
Duration of persistence (range)​
Reference(s)​
Acinetobacter spp.​
3 days to 5 months​
[18, 25, 28, 29, 87, 88]​
Bordetella pertussis
3 – 5 days​
[89, 90]​
Campylobacter jejuni
up to 6 days​
[91]​
Clostridium difficile (spores)​
5 months​
[92–94]​
Chlamydia pneumoniae, C. trachomatis
≤ 30 hours​
[14, 95]​
Chlamydia psittaci
15 days​
[90]​
Corynebacterium diphtheriae
7 days – 6 months​
[90, 96]​
Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis
1–8 days​
[21]​
Escherichia coli
1.5 hours – 16 months​
[12, 16, 17, 22, 28, 52, 90, 97–99]​
Enterococcus spp. including VRE and VSE​
5 days – 4 months​
[9, 26, 28, 100, 101]​
Haemophilus influenzae
12 days​
[90]​
Helicobacter pylori
≤ 90 minutes​
[23]​
Klebsiella spp.​
2 hours to > 30 months​
[12, 16, 28, 52, 90]​
Listeria spp.​
1 day – months​
[15, 90, 102]​
Mycobacterium bovis
> 2 months​
[13, 90]​
Mycobacterium tuberculosis
1 day – 4 months​
[30, 90]​
Neisseria gonorrhoeae
1 – 3 days​
[24, 27, 90]​
Proteus vulgaris
1 – 2 days​
[90]​
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
6 hours – 16 months; on dry floor: 5 weeks​
[12, 16, 28, 52, 99, 103, 104]​
Salmonella typhi
6 hours – 4 weeks​
[90]​
Salmonella typhimurium
10 days – 4.2 years​
[15, 90, 105]​
Salmonella spp.​
1 day​
[52]​
Serratia marcescens
3 days – 2 months; on dry floor: 5 weeks​
[12, 90]​
Shigella spp.​
2 days – 5 months​
[90, 106, 107]​
Staphylococcus aureus, including MRSA​
7 days – 7 months​
[9, 10, 16, 52, 99, 108]​
Streptococcus pneumoniae
1 – 20 days​
[90]​
Streptococcus pyogenes
3 days – 6.5 months​
[90]​
Vibrio cholerae
1 – 7 days​
[90, 109]​

I wouldn’t...virus or no virus:)

eT

i saw today that the coronavirus is primarily transmitted via the digestive tract, and is not airborne. since flies and feces go together this is likely how it spread through an open-air food market, since flies also like to land on food... it could also have a lot to do with poor sanitation in crowded cities

China just built a complete new hospital in 10 DAYS, to take care of the virus patients!
Max.,

I think the new hospital might be washed away the first time it rains. Wind might even blow it away.
Is the concrete still soft and made of rice? Oh, maybe it is a tent?
ABC News showed a video time-lapse of it being built by what looks like millions of ants.

I think the new hospital might be washed away the first time it rains. Wind might even blow it away.
Is the concrete still soft and made of rice? Oh, maybe it is a tent?
ABC News showed a video time-lapse of it being built by what looks like millions of ants.
You are a tad harsh with "Non Canadians" Audio... Remember that China had an empire!! Canada didn't...
I really respect your electronic knowledge, but your social skills lack somewhat!!

You are a tad harsh with "Non Canadians" Audio... Remember that China had an empire!! Canada didn't...
I really respect your electronic knowledge, but your social skills lack somewhat!!
Its amazing how fast things can be built with no inspectors or safety requirements but 10 days while impressive means there have been too many shortcuts made. Not just with the concrete but in every part of the construction. Personally having worked with large commercial projects in construction when I was young, I can say AG has very valid concerns. I have also been to China. Its a nice place to visit but workmanship and things like building codes are sometimes a bit shoddy. I would guess this hospital will hold up just long enough to help with the virus and then be abandoned and fall apart.

Back on topic, Unfortunately all production has halted at jlc til at least the 10th. :( I have some boards still stuck there..
they have address the issue here about receiving boards from them:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
why put so much criticism about quality and quality workmanship on a hospital Designed only to isolate patients from the rest of the population. This "hospital" will be leveled as soon as the beds are empty and the epidemic passed. After all, a hospital at this location of this size of this design was not part of the 5-year-plan of the party. Something else was likely scheduled for that location.

Also, your comments about concrete needing time to cure are kind of mis-placed in this modern age. Nearly all concrete used in modern construction use one or more "admixtures" to give the concrete a longer working time, faster curing time or any other feature or performance the contractor wants. Also, modern chemistry has found things as 8nexpensive as calcium chloride solution to accelerate cure so there is virtually no need to skip admixtures - they are cheaper than the benefit they bring (a good value).

Of course the quickly built Chinese hospital is only temporary. I mentioned all the problems they must solve since it is amazing that they can build a huge hospital in only 10 days.

35 years ago I moved to a new community in Canada. They built my neighbourhood in a few months, not in a few days. They built a highway, a huge shopping center and a hospital in a few months, not days. Today they are still like new.

The time and location are completely different between China and my neighbourhood. China used millions of workers but my neighbourhood used only a few workers and many union supervisors who watched. The workers in China were probably paid a contract but the workers in my neighbourhood were probably pain by the hour, then they worked slowly and got paid more!

The China hospital answered the age-old question...
- if 100 workers can build a hospital in 1000 days, how long does it take 10,000 workers to build a hospital?

The China hospital answered the age-old question...
- if 100 workers can build a hospital in 1000 days, how long does it take 10,000 workers to build a hospital?
It depends on how much time is wasted by the workers tripping over each other.

why put so much criticism about quality and quality workmanship on a hospital

If you read my post you will see I was only criticizing their everyday construction for lack of following a good set of building codes. My wife is from Beijing so I have spent a lot of time there and I hear a lot about everyday life from her family and friends still there. From what I hear these days, Life in China usually revolves around politics first (even on the small local scale). Things like safety and standards in many cases fall to the wayside. This hospital I agree is only temporary and not that big of a deal. Its more likely meant as a political statement after China's gov caught so much grief about turning away aid then actual function and will be abandoned once all is over or covered up. Abandoning newly built structures is a pretty normal occurrence in China.

As for actually building buildings, concrete is just one small step in the process. I remember doing concrete footers and building pads quite well. Every step of the way we had inspectors testing for density levels. subgrade(soil), subbase (stone) and finally the concrete Base. If at any step of the process the density level was below the standard we had to correct it before continuing. Generally the subgrade (soil) would take the most time honestly. Concrete was pretty standard. That is why I say "Its amazing how fast things can be built with no inspectors or safety requirements " . When I worked in the field I remember always hearing the common phrase "Too many chiefs and not enough Indians". Probably rambling on too much now so I will just loop this back to my original post about the workmanship and standards I have personally experienced in China.. China has too many Indians and not enough chiefs.

A little more about concrete to go long with your link in case anyone is actually curious:

Last edited:
Its amazing how fast things can be built with no inspectors or safety requirements but 10 days while impressive means there have been too many shortcuts made. Not just with the concrete but in every part of the construction. Personally having worked with large commercial projects in construction when I was young, I can say AG has very valid concerns. I have also been to China. Its a nice place to visit but workmanship and things like building codes are sometimes a bit shoddy. I would guess this hospital will hold up just long enough to help with the virus and then be abandoned and fall apart.

Back on topic, Unfortunately all production has halted at jlc til at least the 10th. :( I have some boards still stuck there..
they have address the issue here about receiving boards from them:
**broken link removed**

Hmmm....I just got an email notification with tracking number from JLC yesterday that my boards are being shipped.

eT

I ordered boards from JLCPCB on Feb 1st (Jan 31 Washington state) still waiting for boards as well. Never got an email about delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back