Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Design Diptrace

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoyC

I've drawn a double layer PCB using diptrace. Now ,the problem is ,how do I actually connect both top and bottom layer??

Here's the picture of my design: PCB Layout - [CDocuments and SettingsLoYDesktopFYP Transmitter.dip].jpg

Hi KeepItSimpleStupid,

I don't really get what you mean by the term ''VIA''. is it ''via properties'' which is in the layer section?

A via is a hole that is drilled through the board and then plated so it connects all the layers together. It's the main way you make traces connect to different layers of the board.

Via is something the PCB maker adds to the board to connect the layers. It is an extra step. The PCB maker will add copper inside the holes.

If you hand make this board, you will not have vias so you need to put a very short piece of wire in these holes and solder top and bottom side. Also, you will need to solder the top and bottom side on many of the IC pins.

If I did this board I would make the power and ground traces much widder. Add capacitors at all ICs and the transmiter power.

Via is something the PCB maker adds to the board to connect the layers. It is an extra step. The PCB maker will add copper inside the holes.

If you hand make this board, you will not have vias so you need to put a very short piece of wire in these holes and solder top and bottom side. Also, you will need to solder the top and bottom side on many of the IC pins.

If I did this board I would make the power and ground traces much widder. Add capacitors at all ICs and the transmiter power.

How can i find out whether i should solder the top and bottom side of IC pins. I mean, how should I know which pins has to be soldered. I did find out that some holes are blackened, is these the points that i have to solder on both bottom and top?

How will you make the PCB?
If a factory makes the board then all the via problems is no problem.

If you make the board by hand then you will need to solder every top side sonnection and every bottom side connection. If there is no trace going to a pad then it could be left unsoldered. You will need to put a wire in each via hole and solder top and bottom side.

How will you make the PCB?
If a factory makes the board then all the via problems is no problem.

If you make the board by hand then you will need to solder every top side sonnection and every bottom side connection. If there is no trace going to a pad then it could be left unsoldered. You will need to put a wire in each via hole and solder top and bottom side.

Do you mean i have to connect all the pads including the ICs, switches, etc??

Yes, If a IC leg is not connected then it is OK to not solder. It will be stronger if you solder it.

If a trace only connects to the bottom side then you can only solder to the bottom side.
If a trace only connects to the top side then you can only solder to the top side.

A trace is like a wire. It needs to be soldered.

I am talking about a two sided board with out feed-throughts. (home made) I do not know if you will make this at home!
If this board is made at a factory (with feed-thoughts) then there is coper in the holes and you only need to solder one side of the board.

I think you do not understand VIAs and feed-through holes. I want you to understand this before you make a board.

VIAs are the holes which are used to connect the bottom and top layer. As for feed-through, i think we wont be able to make it at home, am i right?

For a VIA to work it needs to be built with a "plate through" process.
This is made in a bath of chemicals, using a high current power supply. You would drill the holes. Do the plate through in chemicals and under high current. This causes copper to cover the inside of the holes. Now etch the board. Next drill the holes that are not plated through like the mounting holes. I do not know of anyone that have made this work at home.

When you do boards like this at home, the idea is to move the holes away from actual component pins. To do so, you might have to make a -pin connector (test point) so that connections don't occur at component terminals.

You can solder on both sides, but if it's certain kinds of connectors, it's not possible.

You can purchase little push-pins for the vias (hard to find), otherwise you take a piece of wire and solder it on both sides and clip.

KeepItSimple is right. If you use a IC socket it impossable to solder to the top side. If you put the IC in the board then top side soldering will work.

I remember seeing something on the web about using rear defroster repair kit to complete the "vias". I have not tried this and do not know anyone that has, but if you are interested you can probably do a search. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back