Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJammin

Hello All,

If I were trying to make a commercial product, and was mounting all my electronics on a PCB board, what magnitude would the cost of the PCB board be. I read a figure that would peg it at $70/m^2, is that accurate?

The hypothetical here is that I would send it over to a place with large manufacturing facilities like China, and that I would be producing 10,000+ units.

For those that are curious, I'm an engineering student who is trying to create a business plan around my senior design project.

Thanks in advance.

Large quantities cost $40.00 per square metre, but don't forget routing and wastage at the sides reduces your total area by about 15%.
This price would be for fibre-glass, (FR4) single-sided, solder mask, tinning and legend. If you are thinking of 10,000 units you would be in the million-dollar class.

Last edited:
I suggest to obtain a quote from a PCB manufacturer. Check for quality board manufacturers at Manufacturers: Global Sources.

Talking about orders of 10,000+ pieces a single PCB will be in the Cent-range.

Almost all chinese PCB-manufacturers are setup for mass production and then they're cheap, other than prototype manufacturing, which is astromically high.

Boncuk

Obviously I am talking about the cost of the fully loaded boards.

Did you mean a fully populated board? If so, that wasn't the question.

RTFQ ;)

Last edited:
For those that are curious, I'm an engineering student who is trying to create a business plan around my senior design project.
If you are in the US you should double-check that you own the rights to the project and not the university. I intentionally did NOT try anything ground-breaking for my senior design project because of this.

Last edited:
If you are in the US you should double-check that you own the rights to the project and not the university. I intentionally did NOT try anything ground-breaking for my senior design project because of this.

Thanks for the advice. Our idea is innovative, but not revolutionary. Really, it's just an improvement on devices that exist on the market.

The PCB replies helped a lot. One last question, we are trying to determine how much an integrated plastic housing would cost on them mass production scale. This would mean that the buttons are also integrated in the housing.

Thanks for the help.

I suggest you try hard to find a ready made case that will work.

Unless things have changed you will find the cost of making custom case molds for plastic injection quite expensive.

It has been a long time since I quoted this sort of work.

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back