Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collin55 I don't know if you are just in a bad mood today, or if you truly think that you are right. I will agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. look at the comments here; you are the only naysayer. I have used veroboard for many projects in my time, including jobs I have been paid for. I need to make 1 item for a specific job quickly I use veroboard. No failures to date.

It's easy, quick, convenient and for the beginner breadboard circuits can be directly transfered.

Don't tell me you never use breadboarding either, (second worst invention ?)

Last edited:
Luckily the rest of the world doesn't agree with Colin55's blinkered opinions, Veroboard is one of the best, quickest and easiest methods to make reliable prototype or finished articles.

I use veroboard all the time - I never use breadboards, horrible things!.

Nigel if you don't have the software to try your circuit, or your not working HF breadboards are OK just to test. I have used breadboards to test small circuits I have used to replace LSI circuits that were, are no longer available in my years servicing electronic equipment. If it worked then I would transfer the circuit to Vero and use this to replace the original LSI circuit.

Tha'ts great! What do you do with the chemicals after etching. Please don't say use it to kill weeds.
I use Sodium Persulphate for etching. After the water evaporates you are left with crystals which are easily stored. At some point I will take them in to a recycling event. But I have been etching with the stuff for quite a while and have less then a quart of used crystals.

3v0

Almost every NOOB who asks why his project doesn't work made it wrongly on an intermittent breadboard in a terrible mess of wires all over the place.

For years I designed very complicated circuits but only a single one was made and sold for each job (it was the prototype). Then I designed the Veroboard layout and gave it to my craftsman for him to make. When he made it correctly then it worked perfectly, was installed and was billed a small fortune for. None of them ever failed.
The competitors did not have staff that could do what I did so the company I worked for won many contracts for these custom jobs.

The purchasers were banks head offices, governments and other companies where the cost did not matter. They wanted the best.

does anyone know of a good layout software(freeware?) to layout veroboard circuits? or how do you that use veroboard do it?

thanks, cary

I use Sodium Persulphate for etching. After the water evaporates you are left with crystals which are easily stored. At some point I will take them in to a recycling event. But I have been etching with the stuff for quite a while and have less then a quart of used crystals.

3v0

Is there any difference in the etching capabilities between Sodium Persuplate and Ferric Chloide. Aside they are both hard to spell!

Is there any difference in the etching capabilities between Sodium Persuplate and Ferric Chloide. Aside they are both hard to spell!

Ferric Chloride etches a bit faster but corrodes or stains everything it comes into contact with. Horrid fumes will damage the lungs.

Sodium Persuplate etchant is a clear liquid and turns blue as it is used up. It is less corrosive but if you spill it in the carpet it will do it in. I etch with this stuff on the bench in office. Requires heat, I etch in small plastic trays (from meat) that I heat on a small food warmer from the 2nd hand store.

3v0

Last edited:
Ferric Chloride etches a bit faster but corrodes or stains everything it comes into contact with. Horrid fumes will damage the lungs.

Sodium Persuplate etchant is a clear liquid and turns blue as it is used up. It is less corrosive but if you spill it in the carpet it will do it in. I etch with this stuff on the bench in office. Requires heat, I etch in small plastic trays (from meat) that I heat on a small food warmer from the 2nd hand store.

3v0

Does that mean you can etch more than one board with a single echant preparation?

does anyone know of a good layout software(freeware?) to layout veroboard circuits? or how do you that use veroboard do it?

thanks, cary
I have a zipped 4M file called Stripboard Magic that I have never opened. I like using the thing between my ears instead.
I use grid paper, a pencil, many erasers and a photo-copier.

I use veroboard all the time - I never use breadboards, horrible things!.

I'm a great fan of breadboard. Very useful for testing a design. Breadboard -> stripboard is my usual way.

Different people may have different opinions :p

Sometimes the breadboard becomes horrible, it's a fact. I don't mind :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree veroboard is a brilliant pcb alternative to use for circuits. I use abacom Lochmaster for the design software and just printout both sides then head off to the shed to make it. Another prototype system I use is the simmstick, unfortunately they are now discontinued but I did grab a heap of the 2" blank boards and for ease of pic programming I just put a 6x1 header in the breadboard section of my simmstick protosystem and a couple of jumpers to the programming pins and my icd2 works perfect. The simmstick bus can also use veroboard whick with some trimming will fit perfect in the 30 pin sockets. The simmstick will still live on and for someone just starting it is a good platform to learn with. Just use veroboard and when the project requires programming just stick it in the simmstick socket and away ya go.

**broken link removed**

@ $2.50 for 2 of the simm sockets it is a cheap way to use as a prototype platform just solder the socket onto some veroboard and your set.

Now for colin55 to say veroboard is never shown in electronic magazines he must be that narrow minded as the siliconchip magazine in the past has used veroboard in projects.

Just my 2.2 cents worth

Cheers Bryan

Does that mean you can etch more than one board with a single echant preparation?

Yes. I try to mix up enough solution for the boards I am currently etching If it get too weak near the end I add a bit of crystals. If if still has some life in it when when finished it can be used next time.

For my work I only use about 1/2 an inch of solution the the etching tray and it dries up in a day or two.

3v0

I have a zipped 4M file called Stripboard Magic that I have never opened. I like using the thing between my ears instead.
I use grid paper, a pencil, many erasers and a photo-copier.

sorry if i annoyed you! some of us new to all this don't have as big a thing between our ears :D just here to try and learn, asking questions is how i do it.

cary

I use abacom Lochmaster for the design software and just printout both sides then head off to the shed to make it.

Same here, but it doesn't do the layout for you, just lets you manually do it yourself - VERY useful tool though.

Stripboadmagic was rubbish - I bought it years ago when it came out.

I've also often used a program called 'GraphPaperLite', the Lite version was given away on a magazne disk and it allows you to print all kinds of graph paper. Amongst the many types is a veroboard layout, and using that and a pencil it's pretty simple to do layouts.

I have used Press-n-Peel Blue for years with a clothes iron. I even had an article printed in Servo magazine a couple of years ago about it. The secet is to wash the cleaned up copper (sandpaper or Scotchbright) with a clenser like Ajax or Comet. Then dry but don't touch. Put printer paper between the iron and the film. I fold the paper in half, tape the film to the paper and slide the board under the film and fold. You know you are done pressing when you can see the pattern clearly on the top side or the film. I pull the board and film off the paper with pliers (it is hot) and dunk it in water to cool it.

If there is any interest, I will post the whole article. Hopefully, I won't have to refund the $40 to Servo, as I sold the copywight to them.

thanks, cary

I never used veraboards, but it looks like it is good board to work with, it's getting a lot of high ratings on this thread,

but as I was looking over this thread and seen the back of a veriboard in that one picture, I thought,

the best way for me to layout my circuits with this board would be to use my cad (turbo -cad) program
and draw up a strip board,
then draw up my components, onto this board drawing,

then I would Know exactly what holes would need to be cut out and the best layout for my components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back