Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC Fan 12V DC motor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerkec

OK so I found this old fan and was wondering if you could strip the end where the wire ends, hook it up to one of those tiny LEDs like the green light that shows your pc is on. Then put the entire thing outside e and let the wind spin the fan enough to light up that tiny LED? Or for maybe charge something up?

Depends if it is a BLDC with 3ph stator and external termination, if so it will generate, if it is the type that uses a DC supply with internal electronics and rotor sensor, then no, you will not see a generated signal.
Max.

Depends if it is a BLDC with 3ph stator and external termination, if so it will generate, if it is the type that uses a DC supply with internal electronics and rotor sensor, then no, you will not see a generated signal.
Max.
How would I go about checking which one of those 2 is it?
EDIT:I opened it up and I see that it is connected to some sort of a small motherboard. That means it's the one that WILL not generate?

Yes, most fans do not generate due to the internal commutation electronics.
The board usually has an IC with a hall sensor for this.
About the only one that would generate would be one of the Really old DC types.
Max.

Here's the datasheet for your fan:
https://www.delta-fan.com/Download/Spec/AUB0912VH-CX09.pdf
Black - Negative.
Yellow - Positive.
Blue - PWM speed control.
With just black and yellow connected, the fan will run at full speed.
With a simple PWM circuit, such as this one using a 555, you can adjust the speed:
**broken link removed**

As this fan cannot be used as initially wanted, without modification, the above can be used as a solder fume extractor, for example.

Here's the datasheet for your fan:

As this fan cannot be used as initially wanted, without modification, the above can be used as a solder fume extractor, for example.

That's a good idea. I usually hold my breath for the solder fumes.

If your not bothered about wrecking the fan you could remove the board & connect 2 leds.
2 leds as pc fans usually have 2 coils.
Might work, might not.

I inhaled a lot whilst messing around in my bedroom as a kid.
Also had water delivered through lead pipes, bit lead weights onto fishing lines and probably licked the lead paint on the skirting boards when learning to crawl. Leaded fuel was the norm back then, so growing up next to a very busy road, along with walking to school next to busy roads wasn't of concern. Learning an apprenticeship in a busy garage, where vehicles chugging in for tune-ups looked like steam trains....
Never affected me.
fedwithlead.png

I inhaled a lot whilst messing around in my bedroom as a kid.
Also had water delivered through lead pipes, bit lead weights onto fishing lines and probably licked the lead paint on the skirting boards when learning to crawl. Leaded fuel was the norm back then, so growing up next to a very busy road, along with walking to school next to busy roads wasn't of concern. Learning an apprenticeship in a busy garage, where vehicles chugging in for tune-ups looked like steam trains....
Never affected me.
And don't forget holding a mouthful of lead pellets for my pellet rifle, while plinking around. Wet pellets had a bit better velocity...

And don't forget holding a mouthful of lead pellets for my pellet rifle, while plinking around. Wet pellets had a bit better velocity...
22 or 177?

EDIT:
We'd also nick the lead from the windows in derelict houses, to make our own fishing weights.

Last edited:
22 or 177?

EDIT:
We'd also nick the lead from the windows in derelict houses, to make our own fishing weights.

I loved whipped cream as a kid, I took a big handful of "whipped cream" out of a paint can my dad was using about 55 years ago. I doubt my mother could tell me apart from the photo you posted above.

The datasheet for the fan says its motor is brushless so it has a DC circuit to produce AC for its 3 coils and no DC comes out of its power supply wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back