Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Password protecting folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a network drive that I want to be able to have password protected folders on, for item's that I do not want others on my network to have acess to as I let friends and family on my network and let them use some of my space.

What I want is just a basic simple straight forward passworded folder. Or something incredibly similar.

Any suggestions?

One Vista machine a few 98 machines and a few XP guys so If I can keep it universal that would be sweet!

You should be able to set NTFS permissions on that folder.

I am guessing you are in a workgroup configuration and not a DOMAIN structure.

Create a "local" user and give sole share rights to that user, your clients will then be prompted for a username and password.

Why don't you also think about suffixing the share with a "$", this will hide it from network browsing.

All the best!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back