Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Part ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltydoc

Please help me identify this part (broken one in the middle). This is from a circa 200 Yamaha receiver that wouldn't turn on past the safety circuit. In order to find out what was causing the problem I repeatedly turned it on/off until something blew.

I know most of you would like to slap me upside the head now and I prob. deserve it. I know there is no guarantee that this was the problem (sure is now), but don't have the knowledge to diagnose. The stereo is not worth getting prof. so if this doesn't work it's off to the recycling bin.

However, I know how to solder and would like to replace this part. It looks like an ele. switch and was pressed against the cooling fins.

Please help and I will do my research after the part has been identified. Or tell me I'm wasting my time because this part is the result of the prob. and not likley the cause. Thanks all!

Attachments

• Stereo 007.JPG
    Stereo 007.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 186
that's the bias transistor for the output transistors. it probably blew because the output transistors are most likely shorted. there are other components like diodes and resistors that are probably blown as well. when bringing up an amplifier that that is not working, i put a 100W light bulb in series with the power line and a jumper across the AC relay contacts. Yamaha sells a special AC cord to service centers that bypasses the AC relay completely, and if you can get one, still only bring the amp up on a light bulb untill you're sure the amp isn't drawing too much current (bulb bright= too much current, bulb dim= operating normally). what model is this Yamaha? i might be able to find a schematic.

Thanks for the help. Not going to fix this one (too old). I have two Yamaha receivers (rx-v2500 and HTR-5250), 5 years apart and they both have had problems that eventually caused the a/c relay to cut out. I love the sound of yamaha, but I need an HDMI receiver now and wonder if it's a good idea to stay with this company or move somewhere else? I live in Denver which is a dusty environment (not to mention I don't dust), doet this have a factor on my problems?

Thanks for any input!

Yamaha has some excellent HDMI receivers. get the higher end ones. the low end ones like the RX-V363 are just HDMI pass-through only devices. the higher end ones play the HDMI audio by default, but you can pass-through the audio to the TV instead if you want to. the higher end ones also have plenty of heat sink area, so dust buildup won't become a thermal issue anytime soon. i've done some work (actually it was testing an NDF, No Defect Found) on their 11.2 surround receiver. VERY NICE receiver!!!!!! (drool.....). except for the RX-V363, we really don't see a lot of Yamaha receivers having any major recurring failures at the service center, which is a good thing, it means that they're pretty reliable compared to other brands that we see on a daily basis. avoid class-D amps. i don't care what marketing nerds say, "heavy iron" and real analog output stages can't be beat for reliability.

the only beef i have with modern audio manufacturers is there are so many features and submenus that users tend to get lost (even if they HAVE read the manual) and get something set or turned off and can't remember how to get back to where it worked the way they want it to. (see my RTFM blog for more info). since you can no longer see the whole "front panel" you can't just look at it and say "oh, that switch should be set... here....".

Last edited:
I hope I'm in the right area. I have a chart on my web site that is a cross-reference between Europe
part labeling, and the US parts labeling. I have a few that I DON'T know what they should be.

Thanks!

Deleted Own Site link.
Moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back