Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel to Serial Assembly software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I have spent considerable time on deciphering the communications of an inclinometer sensor and controller to make a remote indicator. See here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/serial-communication-protocols.118067/ It is not as simple as first thought.

Time to consider Plan B. Does anyone have a software program in PIC assembly that will convert the 4 bit parallel that goes to an LCD to serial so I can transmit via xBee? I know there are chips for that, but shipping is slow this week. I prefer to use the low-end 12F5XX, but also have some 12F6XX and 16Fxxx chips.

John

I'm not familiar with the xBee but I am quite familiar with serial protocols. Does the xBee use some sort of synchronous serial protocol such as SPI or I2C? Or is it an asynchronous serial protocol such as RS-232?

The xBee is actually pretty versatile, so I have read. I have only had my pair for a bit over a week. It has a "transparent" mode that basically sends what you send it (asynchronous). I have not gotten into the inner workings of the protocol used. In transparent mode you can set hardware flow control. You can set non-standard baud rates, and I have mine set to 14,400 baud. There is also an API mode that I have not looked into.

But, the xBee is not the issue. The problem I am having is the dialog between the control/display unit and sensor of the inclinometer is not a simple request for data which is answered with data. There are at least two different request codes (probably more, like initialization, steady state, and changed state; 8n1). The response repeats the request and then has at least 3 bytes of data. I have been able to duplicate some of the request and data codes using bit banging. The problem is that when the display sends a request, it must get a response within a certain window or it repeats, and then shuts down or freezes. The xBee's have a significant latency that exceeds that window. I had hoped to solve that with the microcontroller keeping things alive until the data were refreshed.

The three alternatives I am considering are: 1) Transmit only the display data to a local display; 2) Rotate the sensor unit 90° so I can get tilt axis I need and then try to read it from several feet away in bright sunlight (I am using it to help keep pallet forks on a tractor front-end loader level); or 3) Scavenge the sensor and other parts from the inclinometer and start from scratch.

It is for option 1 that I made this post. Taking parallel data into a PIC from an LCD display driver and outputting serial data for wireless transmission seems like something that could be done with polling and bit banging. Before I spent the time to write it, I thought I would ask here whether anyone else had already done it. My programming skills are quite limited.

John

Last edited:
As I see it, your problem is you don't have access to the original data, so you're trying to read it from the display LCD - the serial part is absolutely trivial, you need to sort the LCD side out first.

Thanks, Nigel. That pretty much sums it up.

I found your RS232 tutorials extremely helpful in writing programs to read, store, and duplicate the serial data -- all 12F509 based. But, the timing and dialog are driving me nuts. So, I figured I would try tapping into the data going to the display. That is where I got lazy. I am assuming others have probably done it many times and would share their code. Unfortunately, my coding ability is limited to Assembly and not too good even at that.

This afternoon, I will start probing around the LCD to see whether I can access the data lines without destroying the unit.

John

Thanks, Nigel. That pretty much sums it up.

I found your RS232 tutorials extremely helpful in writing programs to read, store, and duplicate the serial data -- all 12F509 based. But, the timing and dialog are driving me nuts. So, I figured I would try tapping into the data going to the display. That is where I got lazy. I am assuming others have probably done it many times and would share their code. Unfortunately, my coding ability is limited to Assembly and not too good even at that.

This afternoon, I will start probing around the LCD to see whether I can access the data lines without destroying the unit.

John

I've never seen code for doing it - is it a standard LCD text module?, if so the datasheet explains how it's driven.

The Lcd is writing 1/2 byte at a time you need to shift in the whole byte then shift that out 8 bits at a time

When RS goes high the LCD is really for data you'll then catch the 4bits shift that in a byte catch next 4 bits then just shift that out.

John, I don't have that code for you but I am curious if you know if the LCD is using 4-bit or 8-bit interface mode?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back