Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parallel port same output!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunz1159

Hi guys i was trying to do a small project like switching on number of devices using parallel port but i have a exe program which would normally give high or low o/p. But when executed on my xp system the only output was 4.7v or 4.8v range. Thing u can help me i would be glared and thankful. See the attachments for further details.

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 218
  • New Text Document.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 126
  • portctrl.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Most likely due to the fact that XP won't let you directly access the ports. There is a program 'allowio' that can be used to let you run your old program in XP.
allowio - Google Search

Thanks

Hey guys very very thanks for ur replies. I'm so thankful and sorry to say the allowio idea didn't work with me but the other idea of the Vb worked quit good. So thank u very much again. Because with out the computer working on parallel port the results wouldn't be amazing. The ckt worked so good thanks to u guys...................:):):D:D

Just remember something. As you become friendly with the old parallel port and communicating with it, the parallel port is slowly going down the road of the dinosaur into extinction. Newer computers don't even have them anymore and the RS232 serial port is slowly following along. Windows XP was the last Microsoft operating system I had any luck using with the parallel port, Nothing worked well with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Linux boxes work well with it if you have a motherboard that still has the parallel port but that is about it.

Ron

Those ports remain on a multitude of development kits. But PC manufactures don't give a rat's a** about developers.

If you are into building your own PC, there are mother boards available with the ports.

Last edited:
Those ports remain on a multitude of development kits. But PC manufactures don't give a rat's a** about developers.

If you are into building your own PC, there are mother boards available with the ports.

Yes, I believe Intel still offers a few OEM system builder boards that have the parallel port. The last system I built that had the parallel port used an Intel D955XBK board running a Pentium D. Still runs fine today with Windows XP in a dual boot with Windows 7. The main reason Windows XP is on it is because I can easily communicate with the parallel port. Today on a new build, if I really want the port I just shove a card in there.

Yes, the port remains on plenty of nice developer kits but they seem to be dwindling. This little relay board kit is a good example. Incidentally the free down loadable software works well and the pdf file has a board schematic. However, they also were right on the RS232 port when it began to grow. You will see links to the same type of kit at the bottom of the page but for a serial interface. Also, Eric's stuff works great with the port.

I believe the lack of boards with the parallel port is also driven by IEEE standards. When it comes down to the interface(s) the demand seems to rest with speed. Even developers want speed. Speed and capabilities. How much data can I move in and out and how fast can I do it? Developers writing for high speed data acquisition systems seem to want the speeds that the old reliable parallel port can't deliver. I think it is an evolution thing. :)

Ron

Speed is a fine thing, when you have alot of data to transfer. Developers do like the simplicity of legacy ports when it comes to basic communication with the uP. It remains the best way to get basic functionality during bring up, as well as examining registers, etc. All our products still have uarts and serial ports, as well as parallel I/O.

Add in ports are available, but we need to figure out how to access them. Heck, Hyper Term works with add-on ports, just as though they were native. We should be able to access them too.

Dev boards have interfaces to KM&M, maybe I should just use these in lieu of a PC.

Last edited:
Aside from software issues, keep in mind that the pport current drivers are very weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back