Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Panda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dharshana

Hi all, I'm a electronic student of University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. I need to do a project to monitor TV vieweing behavior... So I need a method to find out the TV channel frquency when a person watches a channel.... This instrument need to be fixed outside the TV set.............
Does anyone know about the Portable RF Power Frequency Meter ????????? I think from this I can find the frequency of the channel which is tuned on to...

Any idea of how this........

{please don't comment on "Panda" anymore}

Last edited:
Park outside their house, and use a sensitive spectrum analyzer to find the incidental radiation from the local oscillator in their TV tuner. This is the time-honored technique used by the Nazis in WW2 to trap citizens that where listening to the BBC. It is also used by the radio-police in several modern countries to trap citizens who are watching TV without paying their license fees.

Could just ask them to fill out a Nielson ratings report! I used to get $20 for writing down what I watched during a weeks time.:)
I guess they dropped me because I watched educational stuff and not the clueless retard pop culture junk shows. :(
Smart viewers dont make good TV zombies. And without TV zombies most of the garbage on today wouldn't be profitable. :eek:

So where does the panda come in to this anyway? :confused:

Censorship.
You ever really think about it? Honestly does it actauly keep you from not finding something out or does it actualy make yo want to find it out even more?? ;)
If you tell me I cant look at it then I really really want to see what it is that you didnt want me to see! :D

But dont think about what I just said, IT'S CENSORED! ;):)

I find it funny that the word p0rn is censored but other far worse words aren't.

I've heard about the panda p0rn before too, apparently it works with other animals too.

You obviously didn't read (or maybe didn't understand) my post.

Hi,

i understand your interest on this project, when you connect any device out side the TV, say at the antenna input etc, you can NOT trace the frequency the TV is tuned on.

what you can do is to find a way to detect the local oscilator frequency in the TV set, it will be a very weak signal. if you have a high frequency counter you can wire it from inside to read it.

then you need a data base of TV frequency locally used for the channels of your interest and a micro processor assisted system to compare and log the channel and duration. i think its not a simple task, you need strong knowledge to make a device for that.

i may be able to help little bit by directing you to possible ways, if you explain your requirement more specifically.

best of luck

Razeen
saudi arabia

Last edited:
Thanks Razeen.. Do you know how to detect the local oscilator frequency in the TV set ?? Also about the high frequency counter which you mentioned ? Please post me if you have any circuit digrams with you...

there are readily available counters, like modules you can find it in esales, ex:ebay.com, to get digital data output. you can try a shot wip antenna from back side of the TV set to make it to work by picking local oscillator signal, i beleive the signal strength will be enough for that.

making a counter is another dificult task even if you get the circuit, i sugest you to use a ready made one.you can try by connecting a small piece of wire to the counter input (RF input) and keep it close to the TV, hope it may pick it.

razeen

Thanks Razeen, pls forward any sites which I may buy a ready made counter as you said.. will try the ebay.com as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back