Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Panasonic vhs player rejects cassettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grossel

Hi.

Have an Panasonic NV-SD30 VHS that reject all cassettes just after i put them in. Some seldom times it works all fine. When the player reject one time, it will also continue to reject all cassettes i try to put into it. But if I wait a day or so it might work.

It didn't happend anything to the player before the error occured first time.

Any clue what the failure can be?

Does the cassette fully load?
Have you opened the player and watched the loading?
Look for bad friction. slipping belts or wheels.
There are sensors in the tape path. You might clean them.
Leave the spinning head alone.

This usually indicates a faulty sensor. VHS units have a multitude of sensors to detect the position of the cassette during loading. If one of those sensors doesn't "fire" at the right time during the loading process, the machine will assume that the cassette got stuck and will eject it.

It could also be a mechanical problem preventing the cassette from reaching the fully loaded position, say a broken tooth on a gear in the loading mechanism.

The sensors may be mechanical microswitches or they may be optical. Try cleaning the innards and see if that helps for starters.

VHS is dead, they don't even make blanks anymore.
Tell Your Grandparents: VHS Is Officially Dead - Geekologie
Even though most of us probably thought it was already long gone, its death certificate was signed when Distribution Video Audio of Palm Harbor, Fla. -- the last major supplier of VHS tapes -- shipped the last of its salable stock. Distribution Video Audio made $20 million per year selling tons of tapes cheaply, but now the business has vanished.
**broken link removed**

I would think most landfills have a few VHS players still in working condition, if a cleaning doesn't help.

blueroomelectronics: kpatz and flat5 has already provided good answer. I will disasemble the device and actually do what is proposed above. The jokes of yours isn't that funny.

I DO have tapes that doesn't exists on dvd so trashing the player isn't a solution.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem with my Panasonic NV-SD30 VHS, the rejection somehow fixes itself after an hour or so. :p

I wonder if how many others are still converting their VHS in this day and age.

My old vcrs that did that would work if i pushed the tape in , then pushed it ALL THE WAY DOWN, i found that as it got old the gear cycle that pulls in the tape was getting weak and not making it in far enough to push the/a button.

I have the exact same problem with my Panasonic NV-SD30 VHS, the rejection somehow fixes itself after an hour or so. :p

I wonder if how many others are still converting their VHS in this day and age.

I hope Grossel managed to convert his collection.

Problem with VHS conversion to digital is they generally look awful.

I have converted 3 tapes in 1 day without encountering any problems so I guess Grossel would've succeeded as well ;)

Would be cool if he would come back and tell it himself :p

Hello folks.
Thanks for your interest :)

It turns out that a few days later after I wrote here last time my wife had packed down all the cassettes while I was gone. Later on we have moved to another location and decided to give away the cassettes to somebody that appreciated them more than we did.

However - I did bookmark this thread and it IS on my long term todo list, but as for now the player is located where I grew up and is practically out of reach.
So in some future when I get my workshop up and running, I hope I can make it done.

Hi.

Have an Panasonic NV-SD30 VHS that reject all cassettes just after i put them in. Some seldom times it works all fine. When the player reject one time, it will also continue to reject all cassettes i try to put into it. But if I wait a day or so it might work.

It didn't happend anything to the player before the error occured first time.

Any clue what the failure can be?

It's been so long since I even seen the inside of a VHS machine now, I barely remember them. I don't even have a service manual for the one in question now, but a guess might be that the loading motor worm gear has cracked and is slipping on the shaft of the motor. Super glue works wonders, but the parts are cheap if you want to replace it. Pull the mode switch out and clean it up too while you're at it :)

I bought a USB-Video Grabber for twenty Euros. Should make the conversion easy. It's been a year and I still have not used it :)

I bought a USB-Video Grabber for twenty Euros. Should make the conversion easy. It's been a year and I still have not used it :)

Hahaha :)

I did the same thing and only converted a few tapes. It's a damned slow process and the result is not at the quality of a DVD.

Then, I realized the price of some of what I was converting was available digitally very cheap on uTunes. For example, my Cosmos tapes (13 tapes originally at $13 dollars each), converted horribly because the tapes had degraded, but the uTunes price was $20 for all 13 episodes.

Then, after buying the Cosmos and a few other things, I realized that just about all of my old favorite tapes are available on Netflix, and I already have a Netflix account.

I'm feeling very stupid and behind the times lately, but I'm adapting slowly. :)

VHS may have looked okay back in the analog TV days but a digital conversion will unforgivingly highlight all flaws, noise, tracking errors and overall low resolution of the source.

I may have a few things that won't be found elsewhere but most of the tapes don't need to be bothered with.

Long time since I worked on these, but this is probably a Panasonic J or possibly G deck. They had a small plastic piece on the loading motor spindle which used to split. It would start to take in the tape when not much force was required, but when the machine tried to lace the tape more torque was required and the plastic on the loading motor would slip and then unload the tape.
The part is no longer available, but I'm sure I've still got some somewhere. If you need one email me and I'll send one to you.
kevingarten@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back