Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oven control modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanager22

Hello All

This looks like a fantastic forum. Stummbled across it while trying to find info for a VERY minor project I'm working (or trying to work) on. Here it is in a nutshell.

I'd like to remove the "backsplash" section of my kitchen range and relocate the oven control away from the cooking area. In order to do this, I'd have to lenghten the wires running from the oven control panel to the board that regulates the oven. I'd rather not cut the existing wires (as if this doesn't work I'd be in major hot water) and have found that the replacement part that includes the wires is discontinued.

So....now for what brought me here. I have NO experience with electronics and was wondering if there is someone out there who could custom build this little assembly, or stear me in the right direction as to wear I could find the components. My only concern is that the added wire length (adding an additional 20-30 inches) would somehow affect the accuracy of the controls? Maybe?

Any advice / input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Don

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 239
  • cu1.jpg
    cu1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 246
  • cu2.jpg
    cu2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 243
If that's the only wire to the controls?, then it should be fine - but it would obviously be better if you could make an extension lead rather than cutting that one.

The plugs look like standard PCB edge connectors?, so you should be able to source a couple of those - and then use a small piece of stripboard (veroboard) to join the female connectors together.

oven control

Thanks for the quick response Nigel

Your sugestion is along the same lines as I was thinking. Actually I figured I would just make an entirely new set that is the proper length, and avoid having to splice into the old set at all (set those aside for safe keeping in case we ever decide to part with the range).

Do you, or does anyone, have a recommendation as to where to find this particular edge connector? I've searched around a bit online and am a bit overwhelmed by the variety.

Thanks again for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back