Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Outdoor power pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBblaster83

I'm trying to make an outdoor power pack so I can run corded trimmers, chainsaw, etc around the house. I'm in the planning phase now and would like any thoughts, ideas, etc. I have a few outside receptacles and a 50 ft cord 12 ga, I believe, but I would like to have the "freedom" to work away from the house without having to completely switch to cordless tools.

I have seen a way to make a pack with basically an inverter connected to a car battery. My concern with this 1) how long do have to use which tools 2) how do I know when to charge the battery

If I use the inverter method I would like to make this sort a backpack model and have a short "leader" cord from the tool, but also have the option to have it a stationary unit and use a longer cord. I guess I could put in a battery voltage meter and disconnect. I'm guessing I would also need a fairly large inverter to run everything.

Thanks for an input!

I'm trying to make an outdoor power pack so I can run corded trimmers, chainsaw, etc around the house. I'm in the planning phase now and would like any thoughts, ideas, etc. I have a few outside receptacles and a 50 ft cord 12 ga, I believe, but I would like to have the "freedom" to work away from the house without having to completely switch to cordless tools.

I have seen a way to make a pack with basically an inverter connected to a car battery. My concern with this 1) how long do have to use which tools 2) how do I know when to charge the battery

If I use the inverter method I would like to make this sort a backpack model and have a short "leader" cord from the tool, but also have the option to have it a stationary unit and use a longer cord. I guess I could put in a battery voltage meter and disconnect. I'm guessing I would also need a fairly large inverter to run everything.

Thanks for an input!

I thought of doing this. Then I just bought the Milwaukee M18 Fuel trimmer, chainsaw and sawzall. The trimmer goes right through 3/4 inch branches. - sharp with great power. Amazing tool.

I can work all day with the trimmer on one 9Ah battery (it came with two). The chainsaw came with a 12Ah. I bought the sawzall without batteries because I use one of my 9Ah for that. Like my children, I love all my tools equally.

DF54B638-8A0D-4026-8724-9A554E1ACCC5.jpeg

Personally I would go with Gophert's suggestion. Here is the reasoning.

Yes, you can make a battery pack and yes you can run an inverter off a battery. The size of the inverter will be a function of the largest load you plan to run off of it. Inverters come with assorted wave shape outputs. The cheaper units output a modified sine wave and some motors may or may not run on a modified sine wave. The better inverters do output a true sine wave but they cost more and the price is proportional to how much power they can output. Inverters like most things in life also have an efficiency meaning that as power is converted there is some loss.

While the newer technology lithium-ion battery or Li-ion batteries are lighter they also require care in recharging unlike the older more forgiving lead acid gel cells. So there is a trade off there but either way you are lugging around a battery large enough to support your load(s) for a reasonable time frame. This all comes down to is it possible? Yes but more often than not it isn't practical.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back