Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Out and Back Rail Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

EgViAgN

Hello,
This is my first post and I am looking for a nudge in the right direction.
I am working on a project that involves a rail shuttle system. This will work exactly like a printer ink shuttle.

A small shuttle will be mounted on a rail and will slide from end to end.
I want to run this shuttle with a small DC motor and a hand held switch.

What I need the help on is the wiring and I know this will most likely be a simple project for most of you wiring is not my forte.

So I want a limiter switch that will turn the motor off when it reaches one end and the hand held switch to turn it back on so it will run back the to other end, again with a limiter off switch.

I am undecided if I am driving this system with a belt and stationary motor, or having the motor ride along with the shuttle. But lets say it rides along so there arent 50 ways of doing this.:)

If a simple to read wiring schematic could be made up for this purpose that would be GREAT! (Like tony)

Thanks a bunch.

This is about as simple as it can get. The Fwd/Rev switch is a DPDT (double pole double throw) toggle switch. The limit switches are usually SPDT (single pole double throw). On these, use the C (common) and NC (normally closed) terminals as shown. The +/- connections for the battery and the connection polarity for the motor will need to be determined experimentally, depending on which polarity combination drives the motor in the correct direction.

It would be best if the motor and the limit switches are not mounted on the car, as you would have to have a pair of wires running from the hand-held Fwd/Rev switch to the moving car.

Ken

Attachments

• MotorLimitSwtReverser 0.gif
    MotorLimitSwtReverser 0.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 124
That is great. Thanks a lot.
I have a question about the limit switch, well the kind that I want to use anyway.
They are a compression lever thingy with a spring to raise the lever back up.
I 'm not sure but when the cart disengages the lever won't that put polarity back the other way and make the motor reverse as soon as the lever is back up?
If not then just smack me and say no it wont.

---

Never mind..duh! Power won't be running to the limit switch once you press your hand held switch....It took me a second.

Last edited:
EgViAgN,

I never smack people for their questions. :) The physical terminal arrangement on my limit switches may not match yours, but the labels should. I hope the circuit will do what you need.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back