1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Oshonsoft Serial Port PIC-PIC18-PIC16-AVR Programmer

Discussion in 'Oshonsoft' started by joserafa83, Dec 14, 2017.

1. joserafa83

joserafa83 New Member

Hello,

I'm planning to build this Oshonsoft Serial Port PIC-PIC18-PIC16-AVR Programmer, to program both PIC and AVR microcontrollers, but changing the PIC16F628A by the PIC16F73 ( I only need 1 USART and 8 pins for the Programming Serial Signals)

Has someone built it before ? ? Any experiences ?

[​IMG]

SCHEMATIC FOR PIC
    [​IMG]
    SCHEMATIC FOR AVR
    [​IMG]

2. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

This is a 'blast from the past', and such old programmers don't support modern devices.

If you want to program PIC's, then get a PICKit2 or PICKit3, and this works directly from within the MPLAB(X) IDE - the 3 is better for more modern devices.

3. joserafa83

joserafa83 New Member

Hi Nigel, why do you say it doesn´t support new devices, on the specifications it says that it supports the Enhanced Mid Range Pic Microcontrollers but the Pickit 2 does not.

I have a Pickit 3 "Clone", but i want to programm AVR microcontroller too with the same software and hardware !

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

As I mentioned above, the PICKit 3 supports far more modern PIC's than the 2, but both are excellent programmers.

The PICKit 2 does support Enhanced processors, but only from it's own software, not from within MPLAB(X).

Why would you want to do that?, and in any case there are two different hardware designs above for the two different manufacturers.