Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angy

I have 4mhz crystal oscillator connected to a micro(16f946) with 27pf on both its legs.
How do I know that its working the right way?
I put a probe on it and I looked at the signal, it looks something like a sinewave but not exactly like one.
Can someone please explain.

Alot of people might tell you:

Hey it has a 8mhz internal OSC why use a Crystal.

But i wont... :D
The best way to test it in my opinion is to do some type of timed test like since you can probe it .. try flashing a LED at max speed. Since the pic cuts the OSC in 4 it will be 1 Mhz only so you can use the probe to verify its flashing at that speed.

Thanks for your response.
I understood from your response that a 4mhz crystal gives a 1Mhz internal clock frequency.( do all the pic's cut it by 4?)
Actual Frequency=so internal clk frequency /256=3906.25Hertz
1/3906.25=256uS is the time period?

Can you please explain, I would like to know what a 4Mhz with 27pf signal on the scope should look like?(sine wave?)

Is the amplitude of waveform controlled by Vdd ?
For this particular chip it says 20Mhz oscillator clock input on the datasheet. what does this mean?

I have 4mhz crystal oscillator connected to a micro(16f946) with 27pf on both its legs.
How do I know that its working the right way?
I put a probe on it and I looked at the signal, it looks something like a sinewave but not exactly like one.
Can someone please explain.
As long as you are getting a rising edge thing should be fine. If your signal looks a bit like a sine wave, that is just because it is taking time to rise....

Yes, all PICs divide the oscillator input by 4. See any data sheet.... :D
for why.

There is a difference between a crystal - like what you have with two pins, which needs a small capacitor on each leg to ground... and uses the PIC's internal hardware to create an oscillator. You can also clock a PIC with an oscillator, which is a self contained oscillator in a can. These usually have four legs, and put out a fairly strong signal, as opposed to the signal you will read from a leg of the crystal.

If I have some time today, I'll scope one and post the picture.

Im no guru but i can tell you what i know to get started. I know nothing on scopes :(

all PICs cut the clock by 4.. I think it applies to External and Internal.

So if you use a 20 Mhz crystal on it. It will essentially be a 5Mhz pic.

To connect any crystal to a pic i recommend follow the datasheet. in your case it starts on page 73.

Most important is page 78. I dont like that datasheet tho it doesnt show good enough information.

Here is a image of a part from the PIC16F54 Data sheet. It tells you recommended capacitance for the OSC. Hope it helps you.

osc-png.25688

Attachments

• osc.png
    osc.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Jason,
The helpful illustration of how the clock divider works with instruction pipe lining would be a good one to include here too. Do you know which illustration I'm referring to?

Yeah i think 1 minute:
This shows you how everything works.
Here ya go:
osc2-png.25690

Attachments

• osc2.png
    osc2.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Anyway - back to the original question :D

The clock oscillator on a PIC (or other processor) looks like a fairly rough sinewave on a scope - it's also important to use a x10 probe, as the scope will often stop the oscillator otherwise.

Basically, if there's anything shown on the scope, it's working OK.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate your help.

I'm just going to assume that the oscillator is working right.
Now the actual problem I'm facing is with the AD converter.
When I simulate the software I get the error below, I already looked the same thread on this website but they did not give the solution.
ADC-W0008: No stimulus file attached to ADRESL for A/D.
so as the warning say no stimulus is attached to address register where the a/d value is stored.so can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

heh your not doing anything wrong...

you just arent doing it fully...

i dont know how to attach that file but when you simulate something it has to know what values to send to it. Thats where that file comes in. I know someone will help

Can someone please explain How I should go about attaching stimuls file?
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back