Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Orion 28 inch TV makes hi pitched whistling noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

fingaz

Hey everyone,

I've got a 28 inch widescreen ORION tv, model number 28ZKN. I've had this tv for about 5 yrs, and recently it started making a high pitch whistling noise, which gets worse when the screen is bright (ie. if there's a lot of white or light colours in the picture)

The sound is just like a capacitor whistle. Can anyone give me an idea of what it may be? or whether it's worth repairing?

or should i just dump the damn thing? (because it's a really annoying noise):mad:

any help would be much appreciated

Last edited:
It's usually a coil which makes a whistling noise, LOPTX, mains TX, or a choke (or even the line scan coils), the problem is finding which one - often gluing it can provide a cure. Evostick Resin W wood glue is good for this, as it's non-flammable.

yup...my money is on the line linearity coil ;)

don't use a glue that goes rock hard...something with abit of give in it is better for securing the windings as it absorbs the vibration rather than trying to hold it so tight that it can't...as nigel suggested...most wood glues are good for it...

some TVs are designed to get power from flyback transformer, that whistle is a problem in dc filter of the affected section, it is similar to hum in low frequency, check your filter capacitors in supplies coming from FBT.

Cheers all,

I will investigate (very cautiously), i've been on the wrong end of a hi voltage shock from the inner workings of a tv before. . . and it's not an experience i'd want to repeat. . . (though i now know which bit's to avoid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back