Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

organic PCB insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

i am curious about how that organic insulation(the green, blue, brown and other colour thing on the pcb) is called ...
also, where to buy it from...??
has anyone ever used this for their PCB's??? how do you put it on the pcb and leave certain arreas uncovered.

bogdanfirst said:
i am curious about how that organic insulation(the green, blue, brown and other colour thing on the pcb) is called ...
also, where to buy it from...??
has anyone ever used this for their PCB's??? how do you put it on the pcb and leave certain arreas uncovered.

It's called 'resist' - I presume it's put on using a silk-screen printing method? - but no doubt there are people on here who actually know.

thanks for the name!!
i hope there is somebody that uses it here who can share the method.
does it come in different types?

I think its also called solder mask. PCBExpress.com will put it (and component silkscreen) on your boards for a bit more money. The boards I've gotten from then are very nice looking. They only have green though.

Brent

The main reason for it, is for commercial manufacturing - where they wave-solder all the board in one go - so it only solders where you want. If you are making a board at home, simply solder all the components in as normal, then spray a protective coating over the entire board - you can buy aerosol products for that very purpose.

Soldering through the resist gives a nice odor too. :roll:

Will the resist provide contamination and thus provide for easier "cold-solder" when desoldering and resoldering?

ok. here is what i want to do. i want to make a small PCB and then cover it into organic insulation, but leave the places where the connection is uncovered. how do i do that??
will it be possible to cover those places with some permanent marker and then spray the insulation? i will then clean the marker with acetone(hopefully not the insulation) and have the ability to solder just where the marker was layed.
the reason why i want to do this is because i get solder on the tracks where it shouldn't be, so i want to cover the tracks.

does anyone know any other name for the insulation?
when i search trough the products at the suppliers around here, for 'resist' i get all the resisors so searching trough that is quite nasty. any ideas?

bogdanfirst said:
ok. here is what i want to do. i want to make a small PCB and then cover it into organic insulation, but leave the places where the connection is uncovered. how do i do that??
will it be possible to cover those places with some permanent marker and then spray the insulation? i will then clean the marker with acetone(hopefully not the insulation) and have the ability to solder just where the marker was layed.
the reason why i want to do this is because i get solder on the tracks where it shouldn't be, so i want to cover the tracks.

Sorry if I'm being rude - but if you are getting solder where you don't want it, perhaps you should practice your soldering.

As I mentioned previously, it's done by commercial manufacturers for wave-soldering the boards, there's no need for it if manually soldering. You probably can't find anything about it because it's a process only done by PCB manufacturers.

As far as I'm aware, it's probably applied by a silk-screen process (like printing on the upper side of the board), applying something underneath most probably wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back