Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Orange seven segment LED displays - has anyone got any for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I am trying to retrofit a clock in my car and it needs to be orange to be in keeping with the rest of the displays. However on looking for LED seven segment displays on the net, ebay and all the suppliers I use and can think of it seems that they have almost all been discontinued.

I was wondering if anyone had some that they would part with? The size I need are the ones with a 14mm ish character and I would need either 4 singles or 2 dual.

If anyone can help I would be grateful and most willing to meet any reasonable cost plus postage.

Thanks.................Al

Slight update.

For the record I began this project using red LEDs assuming I could use a coloured filter to make orange!

DOH! I obviously have a lot to learn about light wavelengths. In case anyone else is about to try filtering an LED to change its colour, it simply does not work. The effect I expected when filtering RED led light with a yellow filter was orange but in reality I got exactly the same red but dimmer, the same went for all the colour filters I applied! Doh!

Al

Hello there,

Try white, then filter with an orange filter of the proper density. White LED light can be filtered into other colors while it is difficult if not impossible to filter other colors. White are sold on the web in some places.

Last edited:
LED's

LED's have a monochromatic light output.
That means, light is emitted at an exact wave length at that colour.
Wavelength expressed in nM ( nanometers )

White LED's may work as the light output has an X and Y coordinate and is not specified at a particular frequency.
Try out a normal white led behind orange perspex.
Not sure if they make white seven segment displays.

The only colour which works is a blue led behind a green lenz will give a blue colour.

Yes they do make white seven segment LEDs, that's why i mentioned that in my previous post.

Just A thankyou to canadaelk.

Got the LEDs and they are spot on, thanks again mate.......Al

I was just thinking the other day that it would be cool if they started making RGB 7 segment LED displays. Then you can make just about any color you wand by modifying the voltage on the color pins. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back