Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optocoupler With Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Hi All

I want to drive a relay with optocoupler.I couldn't find any high current optos.So I coupled a transistor.

What I need to know is Do I need both R2 & R3 What values do I need?

Attachments

• Opto.JPG
    Opto.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 594
you may drive the relay using the transistor alone. In my case I'm using 2N2222A and having no problem. In this case you can remove the two resistors. In any case, you need one more resistance between the Emitter and ground

What is the resistance of the relay coil?

As aljamri wrote, you only need 1 resistor in the R3 position as the opto is a current source.

I have not looked at the transistor's data sheet, but I expect that 22k should be adequate.

You would use R2 or R3 (only need one of them) to make sure that small leakages in the OC1 don't leave the transistor partly on. It can be around 10k, it's not critical. R1 is used to limit the current in case OC1 is too powerful. Although the PC120 is unlikely to need current limiting, R1 is still a good idea.

D1 is required to catch the back EMF from the relay when you want to turn it off.

You should not add a resistance between Emitter and ground.

Ok i'm going to use only R3 = 10k.

In this case (omiting R2) doesn't that R1 & R3 act as a voltage divider?ratio will be [12x10]/14.7.will this base voltage burn the transistor?there is no current limiting!

Ok i'm going to use only R3 = 10k.

In this case (omiting R2) doesn't that R1 & R3 act as a voltage divider?ratio will be [12x10]/14.7.will this base voltage burn the transistor?there is no current limiting!

As I wrote in a previous post, the opto is a CURRENT source, so you don't need R1.

I also asked what is the resistance of the relay coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back