Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto-coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

I have a gatedrive circuit that is going to production, It is using opto-siolation atm (6n137).

This isnt an "approved" componet. The approved comonent for products are the

CNY17-#x series.

These are 6pin devices.

one one side two are for the LED and on the other the three are the photo-diode.

No I shall be tying hte Emitter to the isolated GND and the collect (to my input) to +5V via a load resistor.

What do I do with the base connection? If I tie it low - Transistor will always be off, if I tie it high, transistor will be always on (or blow).

Do I leave it floating or Bias it?

I am using it as a ON-OFF signal, driving the LED with 30mA so will not be using it as a linear isolator

Styx said:
I have a gatedrive circuit that is going to production, It is using opto-siolation atm (6n137).

This isnt an "approved" componet. The approved comonent for products are the

CNY17-#x series.

These are 6pin devices.

one one side two are for the LED and on the other the three are the photo-diode.

No I shall be tying hte Emitter to the isolated GND and the collect (to my input) to +5V via a load resistor.

What do I do with the base connection? If I tie it low - Transistor will always be off, if I tie it high, transistor will be always on (or blow).

Do I leave it floating or Bias it?

I am using it as a ON-OFF signal, driving the LED with 30mA so will not be using it as a linear isolator

I wouldnt leave it floating.. I'm a little confused about what you are doing. Can you post a schematic? Tying the base through a series resistor might be what you need.

Just want an isolated signal.
Never used a Opto like this before, wanted a bit of advice

Attachments

• iso.png
    iso.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 452
I have used a very similar setup before with drives. I will put a high value resistor 100K or so between b-e of the opto transistor, otherwise it will be slow at turn-off. Also add a cap over the series resistor to the led to get a nice high initial current. Also make sure in the data of the opto the collector resistor values (Ic) recommended for fastest switching speeds.

The default pulse input is at 10kHz/10Vp-p. Led current will be at 30mA for steady state using 5V pulse input, last graph. C1 will be calculated according to the pulse current spec of the LED

Attachments

• opto_drive_115.gif
    opto_drive_115.gif
    42.7 KB · Views: 425
chears, on schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back