Opto-coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

I have a gatedrive circuit that is going to production, It is using opto-siolation atm (6n137).

This isnt an "approved" componet. The approved comonent for products are the

CNY17-#x series.

These are 6pin devices.

one one side two are for the LED and on the other the three are the photo-diode.

No I shall be tying hte Emitter to the isolated GND and the collect (to my input) to +5V via a load resistor.

What do I do with the base connection? If I tie it low - Transistor will always be off, if I tie it high, transistor will be always on (or blow).

Do I leave it floating or Bias it?

I am using it as a ON-OFF signal, driving the LED with 30mA so will not be using it as a linear isolator

I wouldnt leave it floating.. I'm a little confused about what you are doing. Can you post a schematic? Tying the base through a series resistor might be what you need.

Just want an isolated signal.
Never used a Opto like this before, wanted a bit of advice

Attachments

• iso.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 454
I have used a very similar setup before with drives. I will put a high value resistor 100K or so between b-e of the opto transistor, otherwise it will be slow at turn-off. Also add a cap over the series resistor to the led to get a nice high initial current. Also make sure in the data of the opto the collector resistor values (Ic) recommended for fastest switching speeds.

The default pulse input is at 10kHz/10Vp-p. Led current will be at 30mA for steady state using 5V pulse input, last graph. C1 will be calculated according to the pulse current spec of the LED

Attachments

• opto_drive_115.gif
    42.7 KB · Views: 426
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…