Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinion about GOLDSTAR OS-5020P Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menticol

Hello guys

I read that an oscilloscope is a must for any serious electronics enthusiast, so I started a quest to get one.

I found an ad of a GOLDSTAR OS-5020P, 20 Mhz, without probes. It costs $280.000 COP or 280 USD* I understand that getting an used oscilloscope on a first world country is extremely easy, but here the options aren't so extensive.

- Do you think that it would be a good choice for a beginner?

- What do you think about Goldstar construction quality?

- The Ad says it's non calibrated. Is the calibration process something that the user can do, or require specialized personnel and equipment?

vendo-osciloscopio-goldstar-20-mhz-usado-sin-sondas_MCO-F-4770605312_082013.jpg

vendo-osciloscopio-goldstar-20-mhz-usado-sin-sondas_MCO-O-4770605485_082013.jpg

Talking about oscilloscopes, I found this post very inspiring
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tektronix-465-repair-and-restoration/

An this one very Uninspiring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J2guzKTBFdg&t=228

Thank you!

*(Note that 280.000 COP in reality is 147 USD, but given cost-of-living of this country and the fact that I earn my salary in colombian pesos, then the figure of 280K cop = 280 USD would be accurate.)

I worked with Goldstar business telephone systems (made in S. Korea) in the early '80ies. The quality was the worst I have ever seen. They had terrible soldering.
They changed their name to LG Electronics and now their quality is excellent.

I do not know how old is the oscilloscope.

- Do you think that it would be a good choice for a beginner?
Yes, maybe.
It has all the basic things for a two channel scope.

- What do you think about Goldstar construction quality?
I cannot comment, I have no experience of Goldstar.

- The Ad says it's non calibrated. Is the calibration process something that the user can do, or require specialized personnel and equipment?
"Not calibrated" could have two rather different meanings:

1 It is working correctly and is within the manufacturers specification, but it has not been "proved" correct in a certified calibration laboratory.

2 It is working, but the calibration is way off. Either because something is worn out or failed, or the local idiot has had a play with it.

If it is 1 then no problem. None of my equipment* is formally calibrated.

If it is 2 then it is a problem unless it is very cheap.

As for calibrating it yourself, for most hobby purposes the voltage ranges can be checked using a stable power supply and a known good DVM.
To check the timebase, you need an accurate time or frequency source.

JimB

* Except my frequency counter.
I have an accurate frequency source which locks to a standard frequency radio transmission.
But this would still not be acceptable as a traceable standard in an industrial environment.

Looks reasonable and I think it'd be good for a noob.
In this country that is too expensive, maybe not where you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back