Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op Amp for Current Sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adaptive current mode controller
I see there are different types of Adaptive current mode controllers.
I often use peak current mode. In papers from schools then measure the inductor current but I always use the switch current because it is easy to get at.
I used, decades ago, a PWM that used the ripple voltage on the output capacitor to measure inductor current. Current in the L is very related to current in the C. The loop response is good when looking at ripple voltage on the output C.
In boost supplies I usually use current mode (not adaptive). Measuring current at the switch. I have used "constant off time" or "constant on time" in current mode with very good results. I think they are very close to what you are doing.
I almost never look at current in the L directly because it takes too many parts to see it. I look at current in the switch. There was project where I looked at the current in the diode.
Link for you

I see there are different types of Adaptive current mode controllers.
I often use peak current mode. In papers from schools then measure the inductor current but I always use the switch current because it is easy to get at.
I used, decades ago, a PWM that used the ripple voltage on the output capacitor to measure inductor current. Current in the L is very related to current in the C. The loop response is good when looking at ripple voltage on the output C.
In boost supplies I usually use current mode (not adaptive). Measuring current at the switch. I have used "constant off time" or "constant on time" in current mode with very good results. I think they are very close to what you are doing.
I almost never look at current in the L directly because it takes too many parts to see it. I look at current in the switch. There was project where I looked at the current in the diode.
Link for you

I can see you really have great knowledge regarding boost converters!

Anyway here's my current waveform at L2 using a current probe. Looks rather noisy right. Image at Capture 1

Using a current sensor circuit(LM741) via a 0.1ohms resistor is even noisier (Already With a capacitor at the output of the op-amp to ground) hahahaha. Image at Capture 2. Dark Blue is using current sensor circuit, Light blue is via Current Probe.
You can observe that there is a slight phase shift between the two waveforms.

Without a capacitor. Image at Capture 3

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited: