One Big Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Most Helpful Member

Didn't convert the metrics but this is one big transformer! Took awhile to build it too!

Ron

Only a 'tiddler'

I was watching a programme the other week that explored where the old trans-atlantic Marconi transmitter used to be, on the Irish coast.

All that's left now is a few lumps of concrete, but they described how big the capacitor was they used to use - and build a tiny version as a demonstration (about a 3 foot cube) - here's a description off a website:

One heck of a cap there Nigel. I liked how they went with air over glass.

Ron

One heck of a cap there Nigel. I liked how they went with air over glass.

On the TV programme they showed an old photo of the 'condenser building', with people stood near to give scale - it was absolutely massive - I hate to think what it cost?.

capacitor made from 288 sixty foot by twenty foot wide metal sheets separated about 6 inches from each other

That was just plain massive and then they actually suspended the individual plates from the rafters. Those plates were 60 feet tall. You would get neck pains looking up! Now figuring an air dielectric I wonder how elements like humidity and temperature figured into it? During my years I have been fortunate to see some really cool electrical devices. I would have loved to have seen that capacitor or for the time condenser?

Ron

The BIG One - WTAM 1100
Above is a link to photos of the ship and transformer. BTW, I think the ballast shifting was neccitated by the other items aboard the ship as well. Actually, that ship is on the small side, being just over 300' long and 60' wide. There are some much larger lifting ships (barges) on the waters.

Take a look at these heavy-lift ships!!
Heavy lift ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://shipsandharbours.com.s3.amazonaws.com/4277.jpg

A 300 ton transformer? That's a box of fluffy pastries compared to a near 12,000 ton lift!!!

World record lift
SSCV Thialf set the world record by installing the 11,800 ton Shearwater deck for Shell UK in 2000.
**broken link removed**

Now those are some serious transformers. The heavy lift ships are another incredible machine. When you actually think about what is going on it's incredible stuff. Interesting also in the stories is the planning and how the design begins years in advance and even the voyage plans take 8 months to a year.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…