Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

on off toggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hey guys, using a momentary button switch, I want to toggle an on off signal.

Whats the best way to accomplish this?

Is there an IC available that can do this?

Or do i have to do it manually and get a bunch of NAND gates and hook them up?

You can connect the switch to the clock input of a flip-flop, such as a CD4013, with the D input connected to the /Q output. This will toggle the FF for each push of the button.

You would need to add a debounce circuit to the switch output to avoid multiple toggles.

You can connect the switch to the clock input of a flip-flop, such as a CD4013, with the D input connected to the /Q output. This will toggle the FF for each push of the button.

You would need to add a debounce circuit to the switch output to avoid multiple toggles.

Cruts, I've read a few of the OP post's and started threads. Usually our forum members respond with a couple suggestions, then nothing from the OP?

Edit: I could be wrong, just seems like a lot of their threads end up that way.

Cruts, I've read a few of the OP post's and started threads. Usually our forum members respond with a couple suggestions, then nothing from the OP?

Edit: I could be wrong, just seems like a lot of their threads end up that way.
I know what you mean, and it's puzzling. Perhaps the OP got his answer so didn't think he needed to reply. But it's just common courtesy to acknowledge any help you've received. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Yes, I want an electronic solution.
The CD4013 could be an option, so for each switch i will need that many IC's. I just want the circuitry to be as simple as possible, and stable. I don't want buttons losing its state randomly lol

Each CD4013 has two Flip-Flops so could handle two buttons. How many buttons do you have?

I want to run about 8. So 4 IC's will do the trick. Time to get to ordering some :)
Thanks for the help
Do you have a debounce circuit design and parts for that?

Here is a sim of the circuit the KV linked. It seems to do the right thing with respect to switch bounce. The rc network defines a window during which further pulses from a bouncing switch are ignored.

Attachments

• Toggle.jpg
    Toggle.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 398
Here is a sim of the circuit the KV linked. It seems to do the right thing with respect to switch bounce. The rc network defines a window during which further pulses from a bouncing switch are ignored.
Nice circuit Mike.
Let me keep that for further reference.

Hey guys, using a momentary button switch, I want to toggle an on off signal.

Whats the best way to accomplish this?

Is there an IC available that can do this?

Or do i have to do it manually and get a bunch of NAND gates and hook them up?

Hi

So...

What kind of signal do you want to toggle on and off? AC? DC?

What voltage is available to supply the toggle circuit?

What will the toggle circuit output operate? a relay? a logic input?

eT

I haven't drawn the debounce circuit yet. I just got the CD4013 IC's today.
I'll get onto thata bit later perhps.

Its for both, logic and operate relays. I have a 5V power supply for it, some of the switches will go to an arduino, others will go to a transistor, then to a relay to for example, switch on car park lights, among other things

Take a look at the AMTEL U6032b chip...it's an
8 pin chip designed for use with pushbutton switches
to drive various loads. It contains a debouncer
and relay drive circuit..

I haven't drawn the debounce circuit yet. I just got the CD4013 IC's today.
I'll get onto thata bit later perhps.

Its for both, logic and operate relays. I have a 5V power supply for it, some of the switches will go to an arduino, others will go to a transistor, then to a relay to for example, switch on car park lights, among other things

If you already have the arduino, you should be able to take your switches into that and take care if everything in software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back