Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ON/OFF pushbutton circuit for battery powered device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_123

Not sure if this forum is the best place for this post, just let me know if I should move it

I am making a PIC based device that uses +5V for PIC and +3.3V for some other circuits.
Power coming from two AA batteries converted to +5V and +3.3V using TPS60120 and TPS60140.

What I need is ON/OFF switch using one (on/off) or two (on and off) pushbuttons.
Slider on/off switch is not an option, I need pushbuttons ;)

Something like:
- ON button brings power to PIC,
- PIC bypasses ON switch, seals it
- PIC will shut device down once OFF button held for 5 seconds or no activity for a 2 minutes.

It would be better if I can make it with one button.

Can TPS's enable input be used?

Any other ICs?
Battery gives only 1.8-2.6V and any voltage drop is costly.

Don't no much about PIC, and just a beginner with AVR, but seems like this could be done with an plain SPST pushbutton, SLEEP MODE, and a Pin Change Interupt. Not sure if your PIC has these features, but $1.16, 8-pin ATTiny13L does, and current draw in Power-Down sleep mode is very low, <0.1 uA at 1.8 volts.

I was looking at sleep mode, but I don't really want to keep these charge pumps running. At least I need to keep +5V running and this will drain battery I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back