Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ok, so I have one more question

Status
Not open for further replies.

andipi

Building a one-minute timer, I have got to the stage where i have a 6 bit output (seconds - ie it counts to 59 and then resets) what I now need to do is decode the 6 bit signal either into two four bit signals, which could then be decoded for two 7 segmant LEDs, or find an IC which could directly decode the signal for the 2 7-segmants.

Either way, does anyone know how this could be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

The CD4511 is a dual decade (BCD) counter, so there is no point in changing to a 390. You can use CD4511s, which are BCD to 7 segment latch/decoder/drivers.
andipi said:
Building a one-minute timer, I have got to the stage where i have a 6 bit output ...
Andy
It only takes 6 bits to represent 0-59 in binary, but you need 7 bits in BCD. Not a problem here - just a technical point.

Ah thanks - i think i must have been confused as to what a BCD was. Am I right to assume that a BCD encodes each number (so 31 would be 0011 0001).

Andy

andipi said:
Ah thanks - i think i must have been confused as to what a BCD was. Am I right to assume that a BCD encodes each number (so 31 would be 0011 0001).

Andy
You got it. :D

The CD4511 is a dual decade (BCD) counter, so there is no point in changing to a 390. You can use CD4511s, which are BCD to 7 segment latch/decoder/drivers.

4511 ? I thought he was using a 4518 ? I know you can get dual latch/decoder/7 segment driver IC's but wasnt he inquiring about decoding a 6 bit output ?

nettron1000 said:

4511 ? I thought he was using a 4518 ? I know you can get dual latch/decoder/7 segment driver IC's but wasnt he inquiring about decoding a 6 bit output ?
Oops! I intended to say that he could use the 4518 dual decade counter, and the 4511s for the decoder/drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back