Ok, so I have one more question

Status
Not open for further replies.

andipi

Building a one-minute timer, I have got to the stage where i have a 6 bit output (seconds - ie it counts to 59 and then resets) what I now need to do is decode the 6 bit signal either into two four bit signals, which could then be decoded for two 7 segmant LEDs, or find an IC which could directly decode the signal for the 2 7-segmants.

Either way, does anyone know how this could be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

The CD4511 is a dual decade (BCD) counter, so there is no point in changing to a 390. You can use CD4511s, which are BCD to 7 segment latch/decoder/drivers.
andipi said:
Building a one-minute timer, I have got to the stage where i have a 6 bit output ...
Andy
It only takes 6 bits to represent 0-59 in binary, but you need 7 bits in BCD. Not a problem here - just a technical point.

Ah thanks - i think i must have been confused as to what a BCD was. Am I right to assume that a BCD encodes each number (so 31 would be 0011 0001).

Andy

andipi said:
Ah thanks - i think i must have been confused as to what a BCD was. Am I right to assume that a BCD encodes each number (so 31 would be 0011 0001).

Andy
You got it.

The CD4511 is a dual decade (BCD) counter, so there is no point in changing to a 390. You can use CD4511s, which are BCD to 7 segment latch/decoder/drivers.

4511 ? I thought he was using a 4518 ? I know you can get dual latch/decoder/7 segment driver IC's but wasnt he inquiring about decoding a 6 bit output ?

Oops! I intended to say that he could use the 4518 dual decade counter, and the 4511s for the decoder/drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…