Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oil Pressure Guage

Status
Not open for further replies.

More Coffee

Has any one dabbled with the idea of using a ICL7106/7107 for pressure guage?
Anybody ever seen a schematic for such..
Im building a cluster for my Ford Ranger and wanted to include oil pressure.:)

You would need to convert the pressure gauge output to a voltage that the ICL7106/07 can read. Do you know what the gauge output is?

Well,there's two different type's of sending units,a resistive type and a voltage type which can range 0.5-4.5 volt in relation to pressure..
Only thing i don't know is whether the sending unit increases voltage with pressure or decreases voltage with pressure..

The gauge itself would be calibrated to the 99.9 psi range If i can figure out how to mate a sending unit to the ADC

With either type of sender it shouldn't take more than an opamp and a few passive components to condition the signal to suit the voltmeter IC. Do you have the spec for the sender of the gauge you will be using?

The specs,which are not that easy to find ..tell me that the pressure sending unit ranges from 10ohm to 110ohm..variable depending on pressure no less.

I think I'll need an ohmmeter circuit..or at the very least a small reference voltage across the sending unit that the ICL7106 can translte into a pressure reading once calibrated.

That 'pressure transducer' is just a pressure sending unit by another name. I don't see any spec for it? Are you just guessing that its output goes from 10 to 110 Ohms over a 100psi range? We could certainly design a circuit for that resistance range.

The two types of sender would require different interfaces. Which sender are you going to use?

I found this unit ..its the best I can find in regards to pressure/resistance scale
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Oil-pre...757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf7a9615

Thats the one I intend to use and purchased..I have two analog guages(to get an average) that I can use to dial the electronic one in with once Im done constructing it.
I'll just make a tree and use my air compressor to apply pressure with the regulator setup @80psi with a dump valve at the end..

Last edited:
If that's a resistance type then something like this can be used to interface it to an ICL7106/7 chip.
View attachment 66911
If the sender has one terminal grounded then a +-5V supply will be needed for the IC.
If neither terminal is grounded then a simple mod to that circuit would avoid the need for a negative supply.

Last edited:
Only an oil pressure gauge with the ICL7106/ 7107? No harm intended, but what about other readouts on a digital gauge?
I recall a past issue of Radio-Electronics promoting a digital gauge that doesn't use the ICL7106/ 7107 IC. Is it your goal to have a heads-up display in the Ford Ranger?

No ..not really the oil pressure gauge is what I got stuck on ..
I'm also employing a volt meter,ammeter,trans temp,engine temp and oil temp..just for kicks..there's really no reason to have that much info,in a regular ol 5 speed Ford Ranger..

as for a H.U.D. no not really ,,it would be nice to find some sort of enclosure that lays them out nice.. I'm working on that ..bezels are almost impossible to find for the LCD modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back