Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tyre Pressure Monitor Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

Then maybe you should read the thread before you comment.

n The pressure sensors generate their electricity with the movement of the tire going around, it is what charges the sensor to be able to transmit the signal..

WRONG. Most systems use batteries, and therefore they have a limited life. Other systems use differential wheel speed to calculate tire pressure. Why even comment on this topic?

Hola MM,

Have you discarded altogether the idea of mimicking the signal electronically? Not sure that I would know how to do that honestly.

Then maybe you should read the thread before you comment.

WRONG. Most systems use batteries, and therefore they have a limited life. Other systems use differential wheel speed to calculate tire pressure. Why even comment on this topic?
There is a gyro that charges the battery. Most brands of vehicles, the tpms never have to have the battery changed and last for 100k miles.

I don't believe it is solely a battery alone. Sorry.

There is a gyro that charges the battery. Most brands of vehicles, the tpms never have to have the battery changed and last for 100k miles.

Seconded - total nonsense.

They generally have a lithium battery & the long life is due to low average power use.
Info from an independent site:
The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors. TPMS sensors don’t broadcast a continuous signal but only broadcast when the vehicle is in motion. Even then, the signal is intermittent to conserve battery life.

Examples:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e0ioftbnbeQ/T1gHyNxqbPI/AAAAAAAAAxQ/gPMFKZNzW00/s1600/tps04.jpg

http://www.yourtyres.co.uk/simg/RDKS-Grafiken/rdks_sensor-defekt.png

**broken link removed**

http://bonesgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/TireSensorSchraeder.jpg

Hola AT

Have you discarded altogether the idea of mimicking the signal electronically? Not sure that I would know how to do that honestly.

Yes, I'm afraid I did .. .. .. .. it seems to me that making something that would connect to the sensor and receive a signal is one thing … but interpreting that signal into something meaningful another thing entirely.

I made a dummy sensor using some ABS tube pressurised to 32lbs psi which actually works quite well, however, the whole system keeps throwing up 'faults' so I've think I've got another problem yet to be determined.

S

Hello All,

Depending on the make, model and year of the vehicle the TPMS module can likely be connected to with the proper scan tool and configured to read only 4 tires instead of five. The tpms sensors are configured to flag a warning around 25 psi at the low side and above 39-40 psi on the high side. Vehicles equipped with the space saver spares don't monitor the spare as they are filled to 55 psi plus.

I had a similar problem with a handicap van we purchased for my mother where the spare was removed for the conversion. I actually purchased a TPMS scan tool from Ebay because I am a tool freak. That allowed me to configure the module to read 4 wheels instead of five.

I believe a qualified repair shop or dealer should be able to solve this for you relatively inexpensively.

Thanks,
rfranzk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back