Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oil cooled computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this done about 20 years ago. The filtration system to keep the particulate matter in the solution bellow the point where it will conduct isn't particularly user friendly, and a good peltier or cooled liquid through a solid interfaced heat exchanger system works better. It's gimmicky, not much else. Good song for the dub though =)

If you want to hear the original and see the awesomeness of Christopher Walken, click the bellow link.
YouTube - Fatboy Slim - Weapon Of Choice

, and a good peltier or cooled liquid through a solid interfaced heat exchanger system works better. It's gimmicky, not much else. Good song for the dub though =)

Peltier elements cause water to condense even cooling from 50 to 15deg/C. I tried a peltier element on my wireless modem and removed it after a puddle of water had assembled underneath.

Boncuk

That's because it was a poorly designed unit Boncuk. If you want to use a peltier to cool bellow the dew point of the enclosure you have to use a seal with a heated wire, just like refrigerators do to prevent condensation outside the unit.

Last edited:
Yeah, and what's that doing to the reliability of the chip? Overclocking chips to that extent is pointless, because you have to have the cream of the crop best of the best silicon to do it with in the first place, and that can be a crap shoot. The main difference between the various grades of processors that are out there is nothing more than what stability quality control has determined that the chip is best run at. Sure if you get lucky and find a nearly flawless piece of silicon you can overclock the crap out of it, but even the bragging rights for that kind of stuff doesn't seem like much nowdays, super computer clusters are so fast and cheap.. I'm all for the nerd stuff and top performance, but reliability longevity and a simple sanity check should immediately cause anyone with common sense to go "WTF?" Why run one chip at 5ghz, when you could run two setups at 4ghz get more than double the performance and have the same or lower overall cost... True nerds respect efficiency as well =) Otherwise you're just a pointless speed freak floating on the absurd edge of clock speed when every billionth-trillionth instruction has an error in it.

Last edited:
In conclusion, keeping the computer extra-cold just avoid destroying it during the overclocking, but the processor keeps giving wrong results no matter if its tempertature keeps below the designer's limit.

Overclocking is possible, but their results (except from wonderful numbers on the screen) worths nothing

Am I right?

Last edited:
By large and far yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back