Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Odd Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_pay

Hi

I recently went through some old components and came across a green resistor like component. It had the same colour bands as standard resistors. What is it and what does it do?

Help this is really frustrating!!!!

Did you measure the resistance?

If it's significantly lower than what the bands indicate then it could be an inductor.

Sorry,

Ive done that and it is exactly what the bands indicate.

Could it just be the wrong paint at the factory?

So, why cant resistors be green in colour?

JimB

So, why cant resistors be green in colour?

OCD thats why! :eek:

Its probably green high temp enamel like the stuff used on the big power resistors.

In the 1940s resistors were always brown. In the 1950s and 1960s you could also get tan resistors. With the advent of imported carbon film resistors, most turned blue, some light, some dark. I've seen greens ones, both light and dark. There've been orange ones; black ones and purple/violet ones.

My wife and daughter invaded my "space" before Christmas one year to mount various components on a blank (desoldered) PCB for making a clock as a present. They went for the prettiest parts available. Thank heavens that 40-pin ICs aren't particulary pretty! But the resistors and capacitors certainly were, especially the conformal-coated tantalums with the value maked with color bands.

Dean

They went for the prettiest parts available.
That reminds me of something out of the book "A Canticle for Leibowitz", where women in a post-apocalyptic era made jewelry out of old components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back