Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NTSC signal tollerence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marktbaldridge

I am in the process of building a ZX80 (a microcomputer from the 1980's) clone. The Z80 uses a 6.5MHz TTL clock divided in half to make 3.25MHz The Z80 CPU also generates the video signal. So here's my question, Could I get away with using a 6.144MHz clock? How much tolerance do TVs have? If it was 3.024MHz instead of 3.25MHz will that screw up the TV?

ZX80 hardware page

~Mark T. B.

I wouldn't have thought so, a colour decoder phase-locks to the colour sub-carrier, and if it's not close enough it won't lock.

Just looked at the link, interesting site, and it reminded me that the ZX80 was only B&W anyway, so NTSC doesn't apply. Most TV's will probably work fine with the line and frame a little wrong, so you should be OK.

I expect the horizontal and vertical frequencies will be about 8% low from using the lower clock frequency. Not sure if a standard TV can tolerate that much difference. If it's an old B&W TV with an adjustable horizontal and vertical hold control than it probably would work.

The NTSC standard applies to B&W as well as color. The first NTSC (B&W) standard was established in 1941. The color NTSC standard was adopted in 1953.

NTSC uses a 3.58MHz colour burst, not 3.25MHz.
3.58MHz crystals are used in every NTSC TV so they are mass produced and are very inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back