Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NTE1561 5 LED VU Meter IC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess that the amp output is to drive an analogue meter or similar. Looks nice.

NTE1561 is basically a beefier replacement for the older BA6124 series Vu meter driver originally manufactured by Rohm. It was commonly used in older stereo's & Vcr's in DIP & SMD package. Pin 7 is R/C bypassed.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I don't think NTE makes anything. They simply buy old parts, put their own number on them and triple the price.
Their parts are replacements for the real thing so they do noy have details on their datasheets.
If the original part is still manufactured then buy it instead.

Thanks vtech, very good info. audioguru, I would buy the original but can't find it at mouser.com which is where I get most of my parts. Honestly I'll probably just end up using an LM3914 like everyone else, but this one is pretty cool and has better operating temperature range.

You cannot buy the original old Japanese IC because it is obsolete and is not made anymore. But NTE will sell you one at their high price.

An American LM3914 and LM3915 are still made today and are available almost everywhere. The LM3914 is a linear voltmeter and the LM3915 is logarithmic like our hearing and makes a good VU meter.

An LM3916 is a real VU meter IC but I don't like it because the spacing between the comparators is different for each step. The spacing for an LM3915 is always 3dB from one step to the next step.

You cannot buy the original old Japanese IC because it is obsolete and is not made anymore. But NTE will sell you one at their high price.

An American LM3914 and LM3915 are still made today and are available almost everywhere. The LM3914 is a linear voltmeter and the LM3915 is logarithmic like our hearing and makes a good VU meter.

An LM3916 is a real VU meter IC but I don't like it because the spacing between the comparators is different for each step. The spacing for an LM3915 is always 3dB from one step to the next step.

You say an "American" LM3914, do you mean designed or built in the USA? I thought all chips like that were made in China these days.

You say an "American" LM3914, do you mean designed or built in the USA? I thought all chips like that were made in China these days.
The original of the NTE copy was designed and sold in Japan by Rohm and Panasonic.
The LM3914 and LM3915 were designed and are sold in America by National Semi. Texas Instruments of America recently bought National Semi.

Most CHEEP (cluck, cluck) things are made in China these days.

The original of the NTE copy was designed and sold in Japan by Rohm and Panasonic.
The LM3914 and LM3915 were designed and are sold in America by National Semi. Texas Instruments of America recently bought National Semi.

Most CHEEP (cluck, cluck) things are made in China these days.

Ah, so you were referencing American design not American manufacture. Thank you for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back