Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noob here with a really simple question/request for all the experts here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgeasl

HI
This is my first ever attempt of building anything with electronics, and it's actually really simple (i think) but I have no clue how to do it.

I have 4 LED strips two white and two amber for both sides of the car, I want to use them as daytime running lights in a car, and the amber for turnlights, they will both be inside the car's headlights.

I want to tap the amber strip into the current turn signal cables, so that they work together with the current turn signals.

And i want to connect the white led strip, into the current daytime running lights cables, so that they work together.

So far i know how to do this but my real question is:

Is there a way to integrate both, so that when the turn signals are activated, and the amber strip starts flashing, the white led strip can be turned off, and when the turn is complete and the flashers turn off, the white led strip can be turned back on?

Basically like a "if" function.
If flashers are working, turn the white strip off...
If flashers are off, turn the white strip on

I just want to do this with only the 4 led strips, 1 amber and 1 white for each side of the car, and not interfere with the stock car lights??

I can solder and stuff like that, but i just don't know what electronic components will let me do this and how to connect them together.

I hope someone can help me, And if i'm causing any trouble let me know.
Thank you very much,

Basically like a "if" function.
If flashers are working, turn the white strip off...
If flashers are off, turn the white strip on

I just want to do this with only the 4 led strips, 1 amber and 1 white for each side of the car, and not interfere with the stock car lights??

Basically thinking out loud here for the benefit of the "experts" (which I am not); sorry if this is over your head.

Seems like this could be done with a NAND gate, one side connected to the running light switch, the other to the turn signal switch. The output would go to [insert control device here: transistor/relay/etc.] to control the white LED strip. So turn signals AND running lights on = turn white LED strip OFF.

But there's a problem: the O.P. would need to find a non-flashing output from the turn signal switch. Otherwise, the white LED strip would flash opposite to the turn signal LED strip, which is not what I think they want. Is it possible to easily find such a connection in a car's turn signal switch?

But there's a problem: the O.P. would need to find a non-flashing output from the turn signal switch. Otherwise, the white LED strip would flash opposite to the turn signal LED strip, which is not what I think they want. Is it possible to easily find such a connection in a car's turn signal switch?

well, the turn signals on the steering wheel are basically a switch, from there they go to a flasher unit, that makes the light flash, i'm guessing that right behind the flasher unit, the signal should be constant on. I could try that....

What's that Nand gate? any part number??

well, the turn signals on the steering wheel are basically a switch, from there they go to a flasher unit, that makes the light flash, i'm guessing that right behind the flasher unit, the signal should be constant on. I could try that....

What's that Nand gate? any part number??

The turn signal is a switch. It should be suppling a voltage to a relay and the lever will make the connection thru the filament to ground. Like this.....

**broken link removed**

It would be easier to have the flasher after the switch. But, it's not. So, you have the problem of creating a circuit, that will measure the current draw of the relay and have a separate supply voltage to power your LED's. It becomes way more complicated, really fast. Then you will have something that picks up the current draw and turns off the White LED's and When it's not drawing current let's them shine.

The intermittent stages of the on/off is the problem. Which I think you already know.

But, the flasher is not behind the switch. It's before. If this is the case in all auto manufacturing then well you have to figure something else out and I'm not qualified.

The only thing you could do is create you own flasher circuit and get the switch before the flashing circuit. Something like this....

**broken link removed**

Good hunting.

kv

Edit: Oh, by the way. I'm not an Expert and never want to be one. ( Expert is a drip under pressure)

If I had the knowledge and Education I would be a Professional in the field of my education and experience. (Which is Better)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back