Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

non linear signal to linear signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandu13

Hai

Here aim measuring the vacuum in the chamber and displaying on the LCD using 89c51.

For this display aim using look up table method .It is taking a lot of memory for storing table values due to non linearity.

My vacuum range is 1.0E+3 to 1.0E-3.

How to convert non linear signal to linear signal.

Regards

chandu

There are really two methods, a lookup table, or a calculation - with a lookup table probably been the simplest, the most accurate, and by FAR the fastest. Can you derive a formula for the conversion?, and is the length of the table actually causing you problems? - if not why worry about it?.

If your PIC isn't fast enough then you could considere building the calculation in the form of analogue hardware but it won't be very accurate.

Last edited:
hi chandu,

Depending upon the accuracy you require, you could consider a 'chord' error curve correction table in memory.

Rather than a correction table for every possible point on the curve.

That is, approximate the non-linear curve with 'chords' in a rom table.

Are you familair with this technique?

EricG

Eric, could you please elaborate?

I am really interested (and about to start doing something on that area).

Gracias

Last edited:
I believe what Eric is talking about is piecewise linearization?
If you google on that, you should get lots.
Microchip has an app note on using a Programmable Gain Amplifier to do the same thing:
Thermistor Temperature Sensing with MCP6S2X PGA = An 897
**broken link removed**

hi chandu, etferrari

Attached a very simple use of chords. I hope it explaines the principle.

An easy way to generate your table values, is to write a VB [or equiv] program that evaluates the non linear formula values and prints them into a text box.

Copy/Paste and Edit into your coding.

If you are using a PIC with an 10 bit ADC value, most likely 255 chords, table length should be OK.

Makes the 'within range' comparisons easier if a byte is used.

If this does not explain well enough, let me know.

Eric

Yes BeeBop, thats the idea,

Last edited:
Duly understood. Gracias!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back