Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise Canceling Headphones (Radio/headphone plugin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jegues

Hello all!

Seeing as how the uni fall/winter term are coming to an end, I'm getting ready for my summer job.

My job entails driving a big front-end loader pulling a tri-deck(for those who don't what that is, think BIG tow behind mower) and cutting grass.

When you're essentially driving in circles for eight hours, you get bored fairly quickly... So what I've thought of making myself is some headphones that could play radio stations as well as plug into any audio device such as an ipod etc...

But before we begin, there are a few constraints that these headphones must meet.

Problems I ran into last year while just trying to use and mp3 player and ear buds was that the noise from the tractor is still too loud, so I would end up cranking the sound to the max.(Probably as bad for my ears as simply not wearing headphones with the tractor running)

I even tried using the ear buds from the ipod in my ears, and the safety ear muffs over top, but the ear buds would constantly fall out due to the ear muffs pushing down on the wires running down from my ears.

So basically what I want is a pair of noise supression headphones with an audio jack for an mp3.

Also, If it's not to much trouble, I would like to work a radio into it. But if it's going to complicate things to much I'll simply scrap that radio addon.

Would it just be easier for me to simply buy some noise canceling headphones?

I think I might end up doing something like this: rabidhardware :: Fancy Noiseblocker (tm) Headphones - Page 2

What would you guys recommend?

(NOTE: The only experience I have with circuits is the beginners circuit analysis course I took at uni a year ago)

Noise-cancelling headphones have microphones on them and use electronics to actually cancel noise. You have an article that uses the little speakers from cheap headphones and mounts them inside sealed hearing protectors. Aren't you deaf yet?

Noise-cancelling headphones have microphones on them and use electronics to actually cancel noise.

Are the electronics required to make them complicated? Is it there a cheap way I could make my own? Or would I just be better off buying some?

Poking around on the net some more I found this : **broken link removed**

Is that a better gameplan for making some noise canceling headphones?

Last edited:
These guys make a kit for retrofitting passive headsets with electronic ANR. I own Lightspeed ANR headsets which I use every time I go flying. They provide ~25db of ANR on top of ~25db of passive attenuation in the frequency range where propeller driven aircraft are the noisiest. The circuitry/construction of these headsets is quite complex. They do a great job of protecting hearing, preventing fatigue, and making it possible to listen to music while flying.

Poking around on the net some more I found this : **broken link removed**

Is that a better gameplan for making some noise canceling headphones?
You found the good circuit. Can you plan a parts list and a pcb for the circuit?

The headwise reference uses open ear headphones. This will not work sitting on a riding mower. You will have to start with good quality hard-shell headphones (look like hearing protectors) which cover the ears and have a silicone jell ear seal. Such earphones start out providing > 25db of passive noise attenuation, before the electronics is added. The headwise circuitry is similar to the Headsets Inc Kit.

The problem is that no matter how good your headphones are, there is always going to be some noise that gets through. Usually the noise is lower frequency energy that actually passes through your body. It causes your eardrums to vibrate so even if you have noise canceling head phones, there is a good chance that you are still going to hear some noise. Fortunately traveling through your body, a lot of the energy is lost. On a noisy tractor, you are not going to hear a lot of the higher frequency, you are most likely to hear noise that is 100Hz or lower (unless you put your forehead directly on the tractor, in which case you will hear all of the higher frequencies).

If you look at the performance curves of the aviation ANR headsets I posted, you will see that the ANR is only effective for low frequencies. All of the attenuation of the higher frequencies comes ONLY from the passive attenuation properties of the headsets. I have been flying with ANRs for >15years. The ANR is remarkably effective in getting rid of prop/exhaust noise, which is all below 200Hz.

In my yard and even inside my home I can hear the noise from little airplanes with gasoline engines screaming when they are miles away because they do not have mufflers.
The same as the noise problem from motorcycles.
But I can barely hear the much more powerful engine on my car when it is very close to me.

They should ban airplanes and motorcycles without mufflers from cities and let them bother the cows in farmer's fields instead.

AudioGuru, where do you live? (so I can fly over your house)

AudioGuru, where do you live? (so I can fly over your house)
There is a highway near my house. I hear only motorcycles and trucks without mufflers. Sometimes a kid drives a noisy car without a muffler.

Years ago the radio stations flew noisy little airplanes and helicopters to monitor the traffic on the highway. Lucky for me they are gone now.

Why don't little airplanes have mufflers for their noisy exhaust? A muffler doesn't weigh much. Or like motorcycle owners, do airplane owners remove the factory-installed muffler to make as much noise as is possible?

Why don't little airplanes have mufflers for their noisy exhaust? A muffler doesn't weigh much. Or like motorcycle owners, do airplane owners remove the factory-installed muffler to make as much noise as is possible?

My 1968 230HP 470 cu. in. 6 cylinder aircraft (Cessna 182) engine does have its factory installed muffler. A newer version of my C182 which is certified to meet the JAR noise standards in required in Europe has a 300HP engine which is de-rated to only 210HP partially because of the back pressure in the larger muffler.

Sad reality is that mufflers that attenuate the noise also sap the HorsePower.

Two guys are going to fly around the world in their dead quiet electric airplane. Its huge wings are covered in solar panels. Its airspeed is 70mph but winds will make its ground speed much higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back