• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

nixie tube

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Vacuum Fluorescent Display?

Hi Star882
Sorry this isn't much help but I thought these things were called "Vacuum Fluorescent Displays", "VFD" for short, I always thought Nixies were thermionic valves that contained a series of shaped anodes; excited by around 90v DC to show the required numeric (a blast from the past).

Your 'VFD' is from an old video recorder? I wouldn't mind betting it has more than one grid (guess at 3, each covering a third of the display) and anode each terminal connected to one segment under each grid area, giving a sort of multiplexing to keep the number of terminals down.

There again --- I could be wrong ?
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles