Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nitpick: highlighted tems in posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonzit

Disclaimer: This is not a huge problem, just an annoyance.

It seems that part of the recent software upgrade was a facility that highlights certain words in postings. The only word I see highlighted in such a way, for some strange reason, is "op", which if you hover over it says "Original Poster (ie the thread starter)". Why this was done, I have no idea. All I can say is that it's not very helpful; most of the time, this shows up when someone types "op amp", which has nothing to do with the O.P. Perhaps this needs some tweaking?

Could you reference a thread? I've never seen what you're describing in any post.

damn.. I didn't expect any other uses for op..

The reason I have added the hover feature was because the reference to OP as in the thread starter was becoming more popular and alot of newer members wouldn't have a clue what it stands for. However, this does cause a conflict and the best solution will be to remove the feature.

There are some others as well:

'eto' => 'Electro Tech Online'
'afaik' => 'As Far As I Know'
'fwiw' => 'For What Its Worth'
'imho' => 'In My Humble Opinion'

I appreciate your effort to insert explanations of terms that may not be clear to all readers.

Instead of the hover feature, how about a short glossary of terms somewhere on the site?

Almost always, I'll bet OP is used with "the OP", but then again, there is always "the Op amp oscillates"

try tweaking and making sure OP is not followed by amp/amps after making the next word all lowercase.

e.g Do your thing to OP If and only if the next word after OP after converting to lowercase is not "amp" or "amps"

A glossery isn't a bad idea either.

If it was only an annoyance you could try not to hover over OP.

Well, it is only an annoyance, as I stated from the get-go, and I certainly don't hover over it anymore, as I know what happens, but I'm thinking of others who don't know who might be puzzled (as well as possibly annoyed) by it.

No biggie; just no reason to have useless "features" on a web site. There are already too many of those in the world.

By the way, I still don't see anything highlighted at all except in ElectroMaster's post. No other posts show this.

As far as nitpicks go though I have these to report.
The drop down boxes for Quick Links Notifications etc.. have no bottom border on their displayed drop down boxes. The effect makes me think there sould be something bellow it depending on which box I click because it blends in with the rest of the page.

Most pages show only New Posts / Unanswered Posts
however if you click on New Posts or unanswered posts, two new entries appear New Blogs and New Articles. This doesn't make sense, all four options should be on the bar at all times, possible a page inheritance issue?

Last edited:
I think people are LOT more confused and frustrated by posting features that do not work.

Like having this pop up when it should not.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Or all the ElectroBot msgs that happen when people have bad connections or move between channels in chat.

.(13:21:03) ElectroBot: cobra1 has been logged out (Timeout).(13:21:05) ElectroBot: Mike2545 logs into the Chat.(13:21:55) ElectroBot: zirco leaves the channel.(13:22:21) ElectroBot: zirco enters the channel.(13:22:54) ElectroBot: zirco logs out of the Chat.(13:22:55) ElectroBot: zirco logs into the Chat.(13:22:56) ElectroBot: zirco has been logged out (Timeout).(13:22:56) ElectroBot: zirco logs into the Chat.(13:23:26) ElectroBot: ericgibbs logs into the Chat.

Or why "Go Advanced" is not working just now!

And why the other day when I added code tags with a =C all the code ended up on one line and I had to spend the time to sort it by hand...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back