Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nintendo Controller -> Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin094

Using two PIC16F84 and some borrowed code I have manged to turn an old NES controller into a PS/2 mouse. I wrote all the code to interface the controller to the PIC(only about 20 lines of assembly) and the PS/2 interface was written by Adam Chapweske.

Surfing the internet with a nes controller is a real trip.

I still want to convert the thing to work as a keyboard for playing emulater games.

Well, there are TONS of websites for that kind of thing. All of the ones I have ever seen use the parallel (printer) port. They have schematics for NES, SNES, N64, PSX, and just about every video game console controller you could think of. But a good SNES/NES one is: **broken link removed**
The great thing about them, (Besides of course, the fact that you can use video game console controllers with your computer :D ) is that as far as components, most of them require nothing more then a few diodes. And of course, you can buy these interfaces, for a low cost, but if your anything like me... you want to build it yourself. :wink:

I had origonally thought about making a one of the converters out there but the draw back to them is that alsost all of them require drivers.

I wanted to build an interface that would be plug and play compatible with most of the PS/2 ports out there. I spend a lot up in my universitys computer lab were thsy get upset if you hack in and install drivers for anything weird. The goal of my project was to make an interface that would plug straight into the keyboard ps/2 port and allow me to play my nintendo emulators anywere where there was a computer.

Well, I don't know anything about PIC programming. So, to tell you the truth, I have no idea why I'm browsing around this forum. :lol:
Anyway, I have another idea that might work. If you buy a cheap, plug&play keyboard, and gut the circuitry, (But not the BOARD, meaning the part that all of the key press against) than you could simply wire all of your buttons from your controller to where the keys from your key board WOULD be if you didn't remove it. Now, come to think of it, that would be a HUGE pain because you would have to solder ALL of the NES controllers' buttons separately. So... let me know what you think. It might be a pain, but if you think about it there are only 8 buttons including the D-pad. And if you come up with a better idea, let me know, 'cause this one is going to be hard. :?

it works

my friend used that same technic except he had one of those stand up arcades. he used its joysticks soldered directly into the keyboard of teh computer he put into it and then he could play any emulator game as if it were an arcade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back