Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiCd Zapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogface

Here's a zapper I found folded up in an old erector set I got at a garage sale. I don't know where it came from but it seems better thought out than some of the other zappers I've seen. Everything looks pretty simple except for a couple of transformers. He calls them:

T1 White Dot Inverter Transformer, and (Electronics Goldmine #N1703)
T2 Red Trigger Transformer (Electronics Goldmine #N1700)

Electronics Goldmine no longer stocks the parts, and there's no other identifying data for the transformers. Does anybody have an idea on what little transformers would work here?

I'm attaching the circuit, the parts list and the circuit explanation. They're pretty interesting.

Attachments

• Zapper B056.jpg
    Zapper B056.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,551
  • Zapper C060.jpg
    Zapper C060.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 389
  • Zapper C057.jpg
    Zapper C057.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 371
Hi,

If you want to build a zapper you dont have to go through all that trouble. Many times an ordinary DC wall wart of suitable size (9v, 1amp) would work as long as it has an internal capacitor. If it doesnt or if you would like to make it even better, provide your own external large value cap like 3300uf or better.
To use it, connect the cell to the wall wart for a second or two using heavy jumper leads. That will revive some NiCd cells.
Unfortunately, these cells usually go bad again shortly after zapping anyway so it ends up being a waste of time.

Just as MrAl said, zappers do not work practically. Immediately after zapping they may appear okay but the damage on the molecular level can't be fixed, they may hold a partial charge for couple cycles, or die completely at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back