Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Emergency lighting unit battery .....NiCd is better than NiMH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best emergency battery ive found is Energizer Ultimate Lithium (NON-RECHARGABLE). They come in standard sizes and voltages (9V and AA). They have a 20-year shelf life, no liquids to leak out or corrode, no pressure build up when discharged at high rates. A 9V is spec'ed at 1A (but voltage does drop to about 7.5V when discharging at 1amp rate).

Well documented datasheets available from Energizer.

The problems:
- fairly expensive (but may be considered a cheap solution - depends on the situation)
- cannot be shipped without jumping through the hurdles of shipping Lithium batteries
- one to two ohms of internal resistance at 1A discharge rate.
- not rechargeable so they may need to be changed after several short power outages.

They definitely are worth the hassle in my industrial applications.

Energizer and a Japanese Ni-MH battery manufacturer say that the modern Ni-MH cells last for 5 years with the recommended low trickle charge that most charger ICs can provide, or last for 5 Years without a trickle charge when they are charged each year.

I'm seeing that too. 5-7 year life Ni-mH in a system designed for Ni-Cd. The charging base is noting more than a current limiter and I'm sure there are more smarts in the cordless phone.

So far, no problems using Ni-mH in Ni-Cd systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back