Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiCd Battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then is the Vtech phone that I just bought that uses 2100mAh AAA NiCad batteries a rip off? What are you defining as a rip off and what does this have to do with my original question?

Then is the Vtech phone that I just bought that uses 2100mAh AAA NiCad batteries a rip off? What are you defining as a rip off and what does this have to do with my original question?
Nobody makes AAA cells with a capacity as high as 2100mAh. 14 years ago Energizer sold AAA Ni-Cad cells with a capacity of only 220mAh and today their AAA Ni-MH cells have a capacity of 850mAh. Your phone might have AA Ni-MH cells with a capacity of 2100mAh.

The AAA Ni-MH cells I use are Rayovac and are 750mAh. My Energizer AA Ni-MH cells are 2100mAh to 2500mAh.

My Vtech phones have a Chinese Ni-Cd battery that is 3 cells with a diameter of an AA cell but a little more than half the length and have a rating of only 300mAh.

You can buy a new Vtech cordless phone complete with an obsolete cheap Ni-Cad battery for less than the cost of a replacement Ni-Cad battery (which is a ripoff).

Look at the datasheet of the cell you want to know about.
Energizer AA Ni-MH cells are shown to have a capacity of 2300mAh with a load current of 230mA, 1150mA and 2300mA. The voltage at 2300mA is a little lower than the others.

Energizer's datasheet for the obsolete AA Ni-Cad cell shows a capacity of only 650mAh for most currents.

My bad, typo. Should be 1200mAh according to the package. True or not, I don't know but that's what it says. I just purchased Sub-C NiCads for $2 each. The set of phones was $70. I think this discussion has run off course far enough. Thank you for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back