Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Question about remote control DC motor being as rare as a Dodo bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

L00ncan

Newbie Question about remote control DC motor being as rare as a Dodo bird...

I'm a newbie and probably will always remain a newbie, every now and then! which has happened to me a few times in my life i've needed to activate something around my household with a switch using a simple gear too wind & unwind, every time this problem crops up i search for geared motors (for hours & hours) that can be remote controlled activated for the very simple purpose of turn and unturn (gears) it never exists, i check Google Images from time too time and it never exists. Yet!!! when i type in Remote control cars there's a sea of devices that wind & unwind. Why don't these devices exist, and if they do i can never see them on Google Images a single time when i search for remote control DC motor it never exists, drives me bananas.

Why are cheap remote control cars limitless from 1 dollar & up, yet i can never find a remote control DC motor that works in the same way but without the friggin car!

Attachments

• Serious_724378_786123.jpg
    Serious_724378_786123.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 86
Because remote control cars is a much larger well-defined market with well-defined, singular purpose. You weren't even able to generalize your applications for the motors so although devices might fundamentally operate the same way, they probably falls under multiple, disparate niche applications that are too specialized to be targeted.

For example, think about attaching a motor shaft to a wheel. Super common right? Try searching for a "general" solution. They are a lot less common for how commonly they are used because every application, motor, and wheel are different.

Last edited:
Because remote control cars is a much larger defined market. You weren't even able to generalize the applications you needed the motors to do = no defined purpose.

Too wind and unwind, metal gear shafts usually have two forms of movement like a screwdriver, wind & unwind

Too wind and unwind, metal gear shafts usually have two forms of movement like a screwdriver, wind & unwind
That's how it operates, not what its used for (i.e. who am I going to sell it to and how am I going to easily find these people, and are there enough of them to spend millions of dollars on a factory?)

Don't forget that the remote control part is also part of the function and narrows the market even further. You can't leave that part out of your description.

Also, the applications you are thinking of probably requires limit switches on both ends to stop the motor from burning out, unlike a remote control car. That is application specific and could prevent a general mechanism from being mass produced cheaply. Can you even find a non-remote bidirectional winding motor? That should give you a hint why you can't find a remote controlled one which is even more specific. Probably too custom for whenever one is needed so they don't market a generic mechanism.

Last edited:
That's how it operates, not what its used for (i.e. who am I going to sell it to and how am I going to easily find these people, and are there enough of them to spend millions of dollars on a factory?)

My point is it doesn't operate! it doesn't exist. remote control DC motors don't exist!

So! why, would i worry how it operates.

My point is it doesn't operate! it doesn't exist. remote control DC motors don't exist!

You aren't understanding what I am saying. Read it again.

I asked you to generalize what it was going to be used for and you just told me how it works or what it does. Not the same thing.

For example:

A crane lift things. That's what it does. But it is USED to construct buildings and unload ships.

An airplane flies. That's what it does. But it is USED to move people and cargo.

What are types of things are people going to use this for, are there enough of them, and can these things use all use the same generic mechanism instead of a specialized one for each application? If any one of these doesn't work out then it doesn't get made.

Last edited:
Okay! but i am understanding what you said perfectly fine, you're asking me to read an edit paragraph that wasn't there a moment ago as even my quotation above shows.

I can go to any electronic shop (i'll pluck one at random) robotshop.com I can go to that electronic shop and type remote control DC motor and it won't exist, so how is a newbie like me supposed too build one when not even the professionals sell them. Dude! you can keep focusing on kids electric devices but i was using that as an example, there's plenty of other gadgets that are remote activated, remote control DC motors don't exist on the electronic diy scene and i'm trying to figure out why.

Okay! but i am understanding what you said perfectly fine, you're asking me to read an edit paragraph that wasn't there a moment ago as even my quotation above shows.

I can go to any electronic shop (i'll pluck one at random) robotshop.com I can go to that electronic shop and type remote control DC motor and it won't exist, so how is a newbie like me supposed too build one when not even the professionals sell them. Dude! you can keep focusing on kids electric devices but i was using that as an example, there's plenty of other gadgets that are remote activated, remote control DC motors don't exist on the electronic diy scene and i'm trying to figure out why.

It's still the same thing. There aren't many things that ALWAYS need remote operation. Many different things need remotes, but they are all different things. The market for remotes is big, but the market for any one specific remotely operated device is not. The market for each of these devices (with and without remote combined) is also big, but not for the remote only versions alone. So you can get these non-remote devices separately, and you can get remotes separately, but not together.

Also, markets don't care about newbies. They only care about making money. Professionals don't sell them because the market isn't big enough to pay them to make and manufacture a generic device to sell publicly. They are only custom-made for specific products.

We run into the same trouble with electronic components that can't be hand soldered, need multi-layer PCBs, or components with hundreds of inaccessible pins under the chip. They don't care if a hobbyist can't use them because there is not enough money to be made.

Same thing with remote control model airplanes and commercial UAV/drones which is a very small market. All the gyroscopes they use were developed for the much larger smartphone market. All the battery technology they use was developed for the much larger industrial market. All the GPS modules they use are from the automotive market.

Last edited:
The market for remotes is big, but the market for any one specific remotely operated device is not.

What!!! Winding gear cranks, is not a big market :rolleyes: do you realize how vast and enormous the crank winding market is, it encapsulates every single industry on earth, every single industry relies on crank gear shafts. This conversation is just getting silly after you said that.

You're trying to turn this conversation into specifics when all i'm wanting to know is why remote control DC motors don't exist on the electronic diy scene. You're giving me anecdotal stories i wasn't asking for, so the answer is you don't know either. You could have saved me alot of time by saying you don't know either. "Winding gear cranks, is not a big market" :banghead:

What!!! Winding gear cranks, is not a big market :rolleyes: do you realize how vast and enormous the crank winding market is, it encapsulates every single industry on earth, every single industry relies on crank gear shafts. This conversation is just getting silly after you said that.

You're trying to turn this conversation into specifics when all i'm wanting to know is why remote control DC motors don't exist on the electronic diy scene. You're giving me anecdotal stories i wasn't asking for, so the answer is you don't know either. You could have saved me alot of time by saying you don't know either. "Winding gear cranks, is not a big market" :banghead:
I covered that already when I mentioned if it needed to be specialized for every application it appears in. If it does, then you won't find one for sale to the public. That's for a regular non-remote winding crank. A remote controlled winding crank is even more customized to its application. It's not surprising to me why you can't find such a device. It's only surprising to you because you can't put yourself into the shoes of the people who actually make and sell these things.

I covered that already when I mentioned if it needed to be specialized for every application it appears in. A winding crank has to be custom for many applications. A remote controlled winding crank is even more specialized. It's not surprising to me why you can't find such a device.

It doesn't need to be specialized, gear winding is gear winding
BTW: I can find the device, what i can't find is a remote controlled one, winding gear DC motors are a penny a dozen

Its hard to keep up with your edits i'll look back 10 minutes later and you've added another three paragraphs, this is becoming very tedious, i'll have to try another forum, this one is useless.

BTW: I can find the device, what i can't find is a remote controlled one, winding gear DC motors are a penny a dozen

Its hard to keep up with your edits i'll look back 10 minutes later and you've added another three paragraphs, this is becoming very tedious, i'll have to try another forum, this one is useless.
I already told you why you can find a remote separately and a device separately, but not together. Sounds like you don't really want to know but just want someone to agree with you that it's ridiculous that no one sells what you're looking for.

You are right. Mostly because Remote operated DC motors are very straight-forward to design and build from common DC motors. Flip the remote control, turn on. Flip it back, turn off. Add logic to the microcontroller and add advanced control logic (slow down as set point is approached, stop exactly at setpoint). So, instead of looking for remote controlled DC motors, look for radio operated switches. You can set up two transmitter and receiver pairs for feedback loops and exact positioning. Anything you want to do, the hardware exists. No market is left unserved in our capitalist and innovative society. Not even the diy community.

For example, think about attaching a motor shaft to a wheel. Super common right? Try searching for a "general" solution. They are a lot less common for how commonly they are used because every application, motor, and wheel are different.
i can think of several off the top of my head, press-fit, setscrews with flats in the shaft, shear pins (that's the coupling where there's a rectangular cut in the shaft and the wheel hub with a metal pin of square cross-section to lock the hub to the shaft), cotter pin, welding, and more...

sounds like you need help with a search... try "DC servo motor" next time, like this.... https://www.google.com/search?q=dc+....69i57j0l5.13059j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Your search terms are wrong. To control a DC motor you can use more than 1 method. Can you post the label of your motor so we can check how its controlled?

-In some cases you can just put a potentiometer between the power supply and the motor and control it.

A quick search I found everything from an industrial radio control hoist RX/TX to a $5.00 garage door system of a 4 ch Relay receiver and key-fob 4ch transmitter!.
There is no shortage of options, all that is needed is a relay and the suitable motor/gearing according to the application.
Max.

Last edited:
Can you post the label of your motor so we can check how its controlled?
What motor? ??!??!!! The OP said he cannot find a motor!!! Did you see the title?!!!

My local hobby store sells remote controlled toy cars, also replacement motors and also the radio control for the motors. Buy a suitable motor and the remote control for it and plug them together to make a remote controlled motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back